Wake tops NC State 67-59 in ACC openerDec 21, 2009 - 2:57 AM By JOEDY McCREARY AP Sports Writer
WINSTON-SALEM, N.C.(AP) -- Al-Farouq Aminu had 18 points and 13 rebounds, and Wake Forest beat North Carolina State 67-59 on Sunday night in the Atlantic Coast Conference opener for both teams.
Freshman C.J. Harris scored 10 points while Ishmael Smith had 10 points, seven assists and a memorable fast-break sequence to lead the Demon Deacons (8-2, 1-0).
The ACC's top rebounding team held a 48-40 advantage on the glass, shot 42.6 percent and led for nearly the whole way but needed to hold off a second-half comeback bid by the Wolfpack to wrap up its fourth straight win.
Javier Gonzalez scored 18 points, one shy of a personal best, while freshman Scott Wood added a season-high 11 points and Tracy Smith had 11 points and 10 rebounds before fouling out with 5:28 remaining for N.C. State (8-2, 0-1).
- NC State's Anya opts out of draft, returns for senior season May 20
- NC State forward Abdul-Malik Abu pulls out of NBA Draft May 19
- NC State adds 7-foot Turkish center Omer Yurtseven May 16
- NC State's 1983 NCAA championship team to visit White House Apr 28
- Wake Forest adds 2nd grad transfer, Matt Williams from UCF Apr 27
- Wake adds grad transfer Austin Arians from Milwaukee Apr 20
- Twins Caleb and Cody Martin transferring from NC State Mar 24
- NC State junior Anthony 'Cat' Barber to remain in NBA draft Mar 22
- Gottfried, Wolfpack focused on returning to NCAAs next year Mar 15
- Manning: 2 Wake Forest men's basketball players to transfer Mar 15
- After another losing season, Wake turns focus to future Mar 9
- NC State assistant Moxley moving to support role after year Mar 6