Northern Illinois tops Md.-Eastern Shore 87-69Dec 22, 2009 - 9:53 PM DE KALB, Ill.(AP) -- Xavier Silas scored 19 points and Darion Anderson had a double-double as Northern Illinois defeated Maryland-Eastern Shore 87-69 on Tuesday.
Anderson had 15 points and 10 rebounds, and Sean Kowal added 12 points for the Huskies (2-7), who broke a five-game losing streak.
Tim Burns scored a game-high 29 points for the Hawks (3-7). Kevin White added 13 and Hillary Haley 11.
After the Huskies went ahead 20-9 on Silas' basket with 13:22 left in the first half, their lead never sank below double figures. They led by 17 when Kowal's dunk made it 34-17 with 7:26 to go in the half and were ahead 44-30 at intermission.
The lead topped out at 19 when Anderson's basket made it 70-51 with 8:42 left.
Northern Illinois, playing at home for the first time in three weeks, held edges of 48.5 percent to 38.3 percent in shooting and 46-34 in rebounding.
- NCAA BB
MD EASTRN SHORE 69
NORTHN ILLINOIS 87 FINAL
Dec 22 4:08 PM
- NCAA BB
MD EASTRN SHORE 30
NORTHN ILLINOIS 44 HALFTIME
Dec 22 3:05 PM
- Panthers battle Redbirds in MVC melee Jan 25
- Notre Dame rolls through NIU Dec 22
- Irish play host to Huskies Dec 22
- No. 15 VCU beats UMES 106-66 Nov 20
- Rams butt heads with Hawks in Legends Classic Nov 20
- No. 12 Villanova eases past Maryland-Eastern Shore Nov 18
- Hawks hope to soar past Wildcats Nov 17
- Northern Illinois extends Montgomery through 2018 Apr 18
- UMES hires Collins to replace Allen Apr 8
- UMES, Allen part ways after six seasons Mar 12
- Iowa State blows through Northern Illinois Jan 1
- Cyclones put perfect mark on line against visiting Huskies Dec 31