Wake Forest defeats UNC Greensboro 75-60Dec 29, 2009 - 2:09 AM By JOEDY McCREARY AP Sports Writer
GREENSBORO, N.C.(AP) -- Al-Farouq Aminu had 23 points and 17 rebounds and Wake Forest blocked a school-record 16 shots in a 75-60 victory against North Carolina-Greensboro on Monday night.
Ari Stewart and L.D. Williams had 11 points apiece for the Demon Deacons (9-2). Wake Forest shot 44.6 percent, hit 37.5 percent of its 3-pointers and used a late 16-6 run to break open a surprisingly tight game and win its fifth straight.
Ben Stywall had 13 points and 14 rebounds to lead the Spartans (2-9). They shot 30 percent and lost their fifth straight, at least in part because they at times struggled to generate good looks against Wake Forest's block-happy front line.
The Demon Deacons' blocked-shots record came with 3:53 remaining when Ishmael Smith swatted Kyle Randall's jumper. That broke the previous mark of 14 set against Rhode Island in 1978.
- NCAA BB
WAKE FOREST 75
UNC GREENSBORO 60 FINAL
Dec 28 8:56 PM
- NCAA BB
WAKE FOREST 31
UNC GREENSBORO 24 HALFTIME
Dec 28 7:47 PM
- Wake Forest adds 2nd grad transfer, Matt Williams from UCF Apr 27
- Wake adds grad transfer Austin Arians from Milwaukee Apr 20
- Manning: 2 Wake Forest men's basketball players to transfer Mar 15
- After another losing season, Wake turns focus to future Mar 9
- Wake Forest suspends Thomas, dismisses Hudson from hoop team Feb 19
- 'It just hurts': Frustrated Wake Forest hopes for turnaround Jan 27
- Wilbekin, Crawford taking on bigger role at Wake Forest Nov 4
- Wake Forest suspends Hudson, Watson from hoop team Oct 31
- Wake expects improvement in Manning's second season Oct 26
- Wake Forest Preview Capsule Oct 26
- Wake Forest G Miller-McIntyre out 4-6 weeks with broken foot Oct 19
- No. 3 Duke routs Wake Forest Mar 4