Marshall defeats Troy 78-75Dec 29, 2009 - 4:15 AM TROY, Ala.(AP) -- Shaquille Johnson's layup with 16 seconds left helped Marshall defeat Troy 78-75 on Monday night.
The Thundering Herd (10-2) led 74-73 on Hassan Whiteside's put-back with 1:54 left, but Michael Vogler put the Trojans (6-6) ahead 75-74 with 1:29 to play.
Troy's Yamene Coleman was fouled on the next possession, but missed on a 1-and-1. Whiteside grabbed the rebound and Johnson put Marshall ahead 76-75.
The Trojans had another chance to take the lead, but Coleman missed two more free throws.
Chris Lutz put Marshall ahead by the final margin on two free throws with 1.7 seconds to play. Vogler's half-court desperation shot fell short for the Trojans.
Whiteside scored 18 points and grabbed 16 rebounds for his sixth double-double of the season. Tyler Wilkerson added 15 points and 10 rebounds for the Thundering Herd.
Antywan Jones led Troy with 20 points.
- NCAA BB
TROY 75 FINAL
Dec 28 9:55 PM
- NCAA BB
TROY 41 HALFTIME
Dec 28 8:47 PM
- Former UConn star Marshall to coach Central Connecticut Apr 6
- Marshall assistant coach Chris Duhon suspended after arrest Nov 30
- Marshall staying at Wichita State with new deal Apr 2
- Report: Marshall staying at Wichita State with new deal Apr 2
- Newly ranked ODU rolls past Marshall Jan 8
- No. 25 Old Dominion takes aim at Marshall Jan 8
- No. 22 WVU rallies to top Marshall Dec 14
- Marshall challenges No. 22 West Virginia Dec 14
- Louisville pulls away to down Marshall Nov 22
- Marshall comes calling on No. 7 Louisville Nov 21
- Wichita State's Marshall named USBWA Coach of the Year Mar 24
- Herrion resigns as Marshall hoops coach Mar 14