Freeman, Southern Illinois top Indiana State 70-52Dec 30, 2009 - 3:24 AM CARBONDALE, Ill.(AP) -- Tony Freeman scored 19 points and Southern Illinois went on a 22-6 run midway through the second half to seal its Missouri Valley Conference opener, defeating Indiana State 70-52 Tuesday night.
Freeman hit 7 of his 10 shots, including 5 of 7 3-pointers. He also had four assists and three steals.
Justin Bocot added 14 points and Nick Evans 11 for the Salukis (8-2, 1-0), who won their fifth consecutive game.
Dwayne Lathan led the Sycamores (8-4, 0-1) with 11 points, and Harry Marshall scored 10.
Bocot sank a 3-pointer to tie the game at 37 with 14:09 left. The Salukis never trailed thereafter, and Freeman's 3-pointer with 6:39 to go made it 59-43, completing the 22-6 spurt. Southern Illinois outscored the Sycamores 44-24 in the second half.
Southern Illinois outrebounded Indiana State 31-24 and forced 21 turnovers while committing 13.
- Indiana State athletic director resigns after 11-year tenure Dec 19
- Wichita State tops SIU in MVC QFs Mar 6
- Salukis seek upset of Shockers in MVC Tournament Mar 6
- No. 11 Wichita State downs Indiana State Feb 25
- Sycamores play host to 11th-ranked Shockers Feb 25
- Wichita State cruises past Southern Illinois Feb 17
- Salukis face tall task in clash with 13th-ranked Shockers Feb 17
- Wichita State routs Indiana State Feb 11
- Sycamores test luck against 15th-ranked Shockers Feb 11
- Tuttle, Northern Iowa win 10th straight Feb 3
- 14th-ranked Panthers eye up Sycamores in MVC matchup Feb 3
- Northern Iowa stays hot with win over Southern Illinois Jan 28