Northern Iowa tops Creighton 60-52Dec 30, 2009 - 3:26 AM OMAHA, Neb.(AP) -- Ali Farokhmanesh scored 15 points and Kwadzo Ahelegbe added 12 as Northern Iowa downed Creighton 60-52 Tuesday night in the Missouri Valley Conference opener for both teams.
The victory was the ninth in a row for the Panthers (10-1).
The preseason favorites in the MVC held the Bluejays (5-7) without a field goal for a nine-minute stretch in the first half while building a 12-point lead. UNI later answered a second-half surge by Creighton with a 14-4 run to move in front for good.
The Panthers threatened to run away early as Creighton missed 15 of its first 16 shots.
Cavel Witter, who finished with 17 points, hit three second-half 3-pointers as the Jays rallied to claim a 41-37 lead.
Ahelegbe answered with a driving basket and a pair of free throws to spark the Panthers, who hit 16 of their 18 free-throw attempts after the break.
- Creighton's Maurice Watson Jr. says he's returning to school May 6
- Starter in 2014-15, Orange's Kaleb Joseph heads to Creighton Apr 18
- Texas A&M downs N Iowa with historic last-minute comeback Mar 21
- Experienced Panthers eager to carry momentum forward Mar 19
- Jesperson's halfcourt shot puts Northern Iowa past Texas Mar 19
- First-year Texas coach Smart no longer the underdog Mar 17
- Creighton's Maurice Watson continues to prove doubters wrong Feb 10
- Creighton hoping transfers Watson, Huff can spark turnaround Oct 21
- Northern Iowa gives Jacobson a new 10-year deal Apr 2
- Rozier, Louisville top UNI to reach 4th straight Sweet 16 Mar 23
- East Regional action pits Cards against Panthers Mar 22
- UNI holds off Wyoming Mar 20