Louisville downs South Florida 73-52Dec 31, 2009 - 2:13 AM By WILL GRAVES AP Sports Writer
LOUISVILLE, Ky.(AP) -- Edgar Sosa scored 16 points and dished out five assists to lead Louisville to a 73-52 win over South Florida on Wednesday night in the Big East opener for both teams.
Samardo Samuels and Jared Swopshire added 12 points apiece as the Cardinals (10-3) won their fifth straight to set up a showdown with No. 3 Kentucky on Saturday.
Louisville took control with a 15-0 run early in the second half and used its defense to beat the Bulls (10-3) for the 10th straight time.
South Florida shot just 38 percent, turned it over 21 times and made just 13 of 27 free throws.
Toarlyn Fitzpatrick led South Florida with 12 points and 10 rebounds, but the Bulls ran out of firepower when star guard Dominique Jones fouled out with 12:52 remaining.
- Louisville sophomore Onuaku to undergo heart procedure May 17
- Louisville students' lawsuit against escort is dismissed May 3
- Louisville announces more sanctions for men's basketball Apr 6
- Pitino elevates Johnson to Louisville associate head coach Mar 15
- Cardinals' Pitino says he saw nothing 'unusual' at dormitory Mar 15
- Pitino: Will use offseason to decide future with Louisville Mar 1
- Transfers Lewis, Lee relish time spent at No. 11 Louisville Feb 29
- Louisville's Mahmoud out for final 6 games with ankle injury Feb 15
- Pitino: Mathiang won't return this season after foot injury Feb 12
- Louisville's Pitino awaits NCAA interview about sex scandal Feb 9
- Louisville's Pitino: Fine schools, coaches for violations Feb 6
- Louisville men's basketball team coping with postseason ban Feb 6