South Alabama knocks off Fla. International 71-59Dec 31, 2009 - 7:37 PM MIAMI(AP) -- Tim Williams scored 18 points as South Alabama avoided a letdown from an upset win at Florida and defeated Florida International 71-59 on Thursday.
In their first game since defeating the 18th-ranked Gators on Dec. 22, the Jaguars scored 13 unanswered points and held the Golden Panthers scoreless in the final 6:23 of the first half.
Williams keyed the run with nine points, helping South Alabama (10-4, 2-0 Sun Belt Conference) to a 31-16 halftime lead.
LaShun Watson's two free throws 5:55 into the second half increased the Jaguars' advantage to 41-23.
FIU (4-12, 1-2) responded with eight straight points in the next 2:16 as Marvin Roberts scored all the points during the run.
But the Jaguars maintained their double-digit lead the rest of the game.
Roberts scored 26 of his game-high 29 points in the second half.
- No. 5 Louisville powers past FIU Dec 5
- Panthers seek upset of fifth-ranked Cardinals Dec 5
- No. 17 Miami returns home to beat South Alabama Nov 28
- Miami tries to avoid upset in clash with South Alabama Nov 28
- Smith powers Louisville to blowout of FIU Dec 22
- Cardinals fly south to take on Panthers Dec 21
- Gonzaga defeats South Alabama Dec 15
- South Alabama hits road to challenge No. 20 Gonzaga Dec 14
- FIU tabs Evans as head coach Apr 16
- South Alabama names Graves new basketball coach Mar 25
- Western Kentucky wins back-to-back Sun Belt titles Mar 12
- Hilltoppers and Panthers duke it out for Sun Belt crown Mar 11