Millsap leads UAB past East Carolina 76-68Jan 7, 2010 - 4:36 AM BIRMINGHAM, Ala.(AP) -- Elijah Millsap had 25 points and 12 rebounds as Alabama-Birmingham defeated East Carolina 76-68 in the Conference USA opener for both teams on Wednesday night.
Millsap went 13-for-15 from the free throw line - including 8-for-10 in the final 10 minutes - and was 6-for-16 from the floor to lead the Blazers (13-2) to their 12th win in 13 games. Jamarr Sanders had 16 points, with four 3-pointers, and Aaron Johnson scored 15.
After the Blazers used a 16-4 run to lead 36-33 at halfime, East Carolina (6-9) scored the first six points of the second half. UAB then went on a 19-2 run for a 55-41 margin with 11:03 left.
UAB was 30-for-39 from the foul line. With the Pirates' big men in foul trouble, the Blazers outrebounded East Carolina 39-23.
Brock Young had 17 points and seven assists for the Pirates and needs seven assists to become the school's all-time leader.
- UAB gives Robert Ehsan 5-year deal worth $450,000 annually Apr 20
- UAB elevates Rob Ehsan to become men's basketball coach Apr 4
- UAB, Haase agree to new 6-year contract Mar 25
- UCLA beats UAB to reach Sweet 16 Mar 21
- Spot in Sweet 16 awaits winner of UAB vs. UCLA Mar 21
- UAB topples Iowa State for first upset of tourney Mar 19
- Cyclones start tournament in showdown with Blazers Mar 19
- UAB buries Middle Tennessee to claim C-USA crown Mar 14
- Blue Raiders, Blazers collide in C-USA title match Mar 14
- No. 20 SMU beats ECU in American QFs Mar 13
- Pirates seek upset of Mustangs in AAC Tournament action Mar 13
- Paige, No. 20 UNC cruise to win over UAB Dec 27