Cleveland State holds off Illinois-Chicago 70-63Jan 10, 2010 - 1:14 AM CLEVELAND(AP) -- Jeremy Montgomery scored 17 points and had five assists as Cleveland State withstood a late rally to defeat Illinois-Chicago 70-63 on Saturday.
The Vikings (7-10, 3-2 Horizon League) led 65-49 with 4:01 remaining, but the Flames (5-11, 1-5) used a 14-1 run, including six points by Chris Buchanan, to pull within 66-63 with 51 seconds left.
D'Aundray Brown, who finished with 13 points and seven rebounds, hit two free throws to increase Cleveland State's lead to 68-63. After a missed Illinois-Chicago shot, Montgomery added two free throws for the final margin.
Cleveland State scored the game's first eight points, but Illinois-Chicago built an eight-point lead of its own, 30-22, with 3:16 left until halftime. Two 3-pointers by Jared Cunningham started an 11-1 Cleveland State run to a 33-33 halftime tie.
Jeremy Buttell had 22 points and eight rebounds for the Flames.
- NCAA BB
ILLINOIS CHI 63
CLEVELAND ST 70 FINAL
Jan 9 7:33 PM
- NCAA BB
ILLINOIS CHI 33
CLEVELAND ST 33 HALFTIME
Jan 9 6:25 PM
- UIC hires McClain as men's basketball coach Mar 23
- Illinois-Chicago fires Moore Mar 10
- Virginia downs Cleveland State, moves to 10-0 Dec 18
- No. 6 Virginia gets back to work against Cleveland State Dec 18
- Louisville grinds past Cleveland State for Pitino's 700th win Nov 26
- Cardinals set sights on Vikings Nov 26
- Kentucky fends off upset-minded Cleveland State Nov 25
- Vikings face daunting task against mighty Wildcats Nov 25
- UIC gives Moore contract extension Apr 17
- Leslie, NC State down Cleveland State Dec 8
- Vikings come calling on 25th-ranked Wolfpack Dec 8
- No. 5 Michigan thumps Cleveland State Nov 14