Late shot lifts UAB past Southern Miss 57-56Jan 21, 2010 - 3:33 AM BIRMINGHAM, Ala.(AP) -- Aaron Johnson hit a jump shot with 6 seconds left to give Alabama-Birmingham a 57-56 win over Southern Mississippi on Wednesday night.
The Blazers (16-2, 4-0 Conference USA) trailed 53-47 with 2:30 left before going on an 8-2 run to tie it. Jamarr Sanders, who already had a 3-pointer during the spurt, capped it on a 3 with 1:10 left to knot it at 55-55.
R.L. Horton hit his first free throw to put the Golden Eagles (10-8, 0-4) ahead by one, but missed his second. UAB's Elijah Millsap came down with the rebound with 32 seconds left, and the Blazers called a timeout with 19 seconds to go, setting up Johnson's shot.
Before the final shot, UAB hadn't led since 16:39 left in the first half.
Millsap scored 14 points for the Blazers, Sanders had 13, Johnson had 12 and George Drake added 10.
Gary Flowers had 25 points and 10 rebounds for the Golden Eagles.
- NCAA BB
FINAL 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
SOUTHERN MISS 27 29 56
UAB 20 37 57 FINAL
HIGH SCORERS: SOUTHERN MISS - GARY FLOWERS 25, MAURICE BOLDEN 10,
R.L. HORTON 7
UAB - ELIJAH MILLSAP 14, JAMARR SANDERS 13,
AARON JOHNSON 12
Jan 20 9:08 PM
- NCAA BB
SOUTHERN MISS 27
UAB 20 HALFTIME
Jan 20 7:47 PM
- UAB gives Robert Ehsan 5-year deal worth $450,000 annually Apr 20
- Former So. Miss coach Tyndall hit with 10-year show cause Apr 8
- UAB elevates Rob Ehsan to become men's basketball coach Apr 4
- UAB, Haase agree to new 6-year contract Mar 25
- UCLA beats UAB to reach Sweet 16 Mar 21
- Spot in Sweet 16 awaits winner of UAB vs. UCLA Mar 21
- UAB topples Iowa State for first upset of tourney Mar 19
- Cyclones start tournament in showdown with Blazers Mar 19
- UAB buries Middle Tennessee to claim C-USA crown Mar 14
- Blue Raiders, Blazers collide in C-USA title match Mar 14
- Southern Miss self-imposes postseason ban Jan 20
- Paige, No. 20 UNC cruise to win over UAB Dec 27