UAB beats Marshall 61-59Jan 24, 2010 - 3:11 AM HUNTINGTON, W.Va.(AP) -- Aaron Johnson dropped in a layup with 7 seconds remaining, lifting Alabama-Birmingham to a 61-59 win over Marshall on Saturday night.
Relying on free throws down the stretch due to a 7-minute span without a field goal, the Blazers lost the lead they'd held most of the game when Tyler Wilkerson pulled Marshall even at 59 on a layup with 1:41 left.
Both teams missed jumpers before UAB took a timeout to set up the final shot with 15 seconds left. After the timeout, the Blazers got the ball to Johnson and he got UAB the win.
Johnson also hit five free throws in the final 5 minutes for the Blazers (17-2, 5-0 Conference USA).
Howard Crawford led the Blazers with 19 points and Johnson finished with 11 - seven of those points coming on free throws.
Wilkerson paced the Thundering Herd (15-4, 4-1) with 18 points and Damier Pitts added 13.
- NCAA BB
FINAL 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
UAB 27 34 61
MARSHALL 22 37 59 FINAL
HIGH SCORERS: UAB - HOWARD CRAWFORD 19, JAMARR SANDERS 12,
AARON JOHNSON 11
MARSHALL - TYLER WILKERSON 18, DAMIER PITTS 13,
HASSAN WHITESIDE 11
Jan 23 9:19 PM
- NCAA BB
MARSHALL 22 HALFTIME
Jan 23 8:00 PM
- UAB gives Robert Ehsan 5-year deal worth $450,000 annually Apr 20
- Former UConn star Marshall to coach Central Connecticut Apr 6
- UAB elevates Rob Ehsan to become men's basketball coach Apr 4
- Marshall assistant coach Chris Duhon suspended after arrest Nov 30
- Marshall staying at Wichita State with new deal Apr 2
- Report: Marshall staying at Wichita State with new deal Apr 2
- UAB, Haase agree to new 6-year contract Mar 25
- UCLA beats UAB to reach Sweet 16 Mar 21
- Spot in Sweet 16 awaits winner of UAB vs. UCLA Mar 21
- UAB topples Iowa State for first upset of tourney Mar 19
- Cyclones start tournament in showdown with Blazers Mar 19
- UAB buries Middle Tennessee to claim C-USA crown Mar 14