Savannah State defeats Longwood 68-66Jan 23, 2010 - 9:44 PM SAVANNAH, Ga.(AP) -- Tracy Rankins made a steal and two free throws in the final 2 seconds, and Savannah State beat Longwood 68-66 on Saturday.
Patrick Hardy had 17 points, Preston Blackmon added 13 and Rankins had 12 for the Tigers (8-12), who have won three straight games.
Trailing 36-35, the Tigers went on an 11-4 run to grab their largest lead of the game at 47-39 on a jumper by Hardy with 13:44 to play. Longwood answered with a 9-1 run and neither team led by more than three points the rest of the way.
Longwood grabbed a 66-64 lead on a basket and free throw by Antwan Carter with 16 seconds left. Preston Blackmon made two free throws for the Tigers with two seconds to play to tie the game 66-66, setting up Rankins' heroics.
Dana Smith scored 20 points and Carter added 17 for the Lancers (4-16), who lost their third straight game and their seventh in the past eight.
- NCAA BB
SAVANNAH ST 68 FINAL
Jan 23 3:59 PM
- NCAA BB
SAVANNAH ST 30 HALFTIME
Jan 23 2:54 PM
- Hurricanes have easy time with Savannah State Dec 9
- Hurricanes hope to rebound in bout with visiting Tigers Dec 8
- Louisville destroys overmatched Savannah State Nov 24
- Cardinals expect to soar in clash with visiting Tigers Nov 24
- Baylor keeps home streak alive, routs Savannah State Jan 3
- Hapless Tigers tangle with surging Bears Jan 3
- Florida thumps Savannah State Dec 29
- Hapless Tigers hit road to challenge 13th-ranked Gators Dec 29
- Gillian resigns as Longwood men's hoops coach Mar 14
- Thomas leads No. 7 Buckeyes to rout of Savannah State Dec 12
- Savannah State faces tough task in clash with No. 7 Ohio State Dec 12
- Porter, Georgetown rout Longwood Dec 10