Jacksonville beats Savannah State 72-68Jan 26, 2010 - 3:10 AM SAVANNAH, Ga.(AP) -- Ben Smith scored 31 points, including hitting a pair of free throws with 6 seconds left, to seal Jacksonville's 72-68 win over Savannah State on Monday night.
The Dolphins (11-8) led 66-61 with 1:39 left, but Tracy Rankins hit a 3 that sparked Savannah State's game-tying 7-2 run. But Russell Powell hit both his free throws to put Jacksonville up 70-68, and Smith sank his pair for the final margin.
Both Rankins and Patrick Hardy missed 3-point attempts for the Tigers in the final 9 seconds.
Smith, who hit three 3-pointers and eight free throws, passed former Jacksonville player Roger Strickland for fifth on the school's all-time scoring list. His performance, which was also Smith's 15th straight game with 10 points or more, gives him 1,696 points in his career.
Smith also had four steals for Jacksonville.
Rashad Hassan scored 19 points to lead the Tigers (8-13).
- NCAA BB
SAVANNAH ST 68 FINAL
Jan 25 9:00 PM
- NCAA BB
SAVANNAH ST 24 HALFTIME
Jan 25 7:57 PM
- Morehead State beats Jacksonville State 82-71 Feb 27
- Former Jacksonville basketball standout Morgan dies at 67 Jan 15
- Jacksonville takes down Thomas (Ga) 92-64 Nov 23
- Hurricanes have easy time with Savannah State Dec 9
- Hurricanes hope to rebound in bout with visiting Tigers Dec 8
- Louisville destroys overmatched Savannah State Nov 24
- Cardinals expect to soar in clash with visiting Tigers Nov 24
- Jacksonville turns to Jasick Apr 9
- Baylor keeps home streak alive, routs Savannah State Jan 3
- Hapless Tigers tangle with surging Bears Jan 3
- Florida thumps Savannah State Dec 29
- Hapless Tigers hit road to challenge 13th-ranked Gators Dec 29