South Carolina State defeats Howard 77-64Feb 9, 2010 - 8:28 PM ORANGEBURG, S.C.(AP) -- Arsenio Williams tallied his first career double-double with 11 points and 14 rebounds to help South Carolina State defeat Howard 77-64 on Monday night.
The Bulldogs (13-8, 7-3 Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference) shot 50 percent in the second half (15 of 30) and held the Bison to 35 percent shooting in the half (14 of 40) to overcome a 30-30 tie at halftime.
South Carolina State, which outscored Howard 47-34 in the second half, jumped out to a 59-48 lead on Jason Flagler's jumper with 6:21 remaining.
The Bulldogs got 29 points from its bench in the second half as Brandon Smalls, Arsenio Williams and Khalif Toombs combined for 23.
Smalls, Carrio Bennett and Darnell Porter scored 11 points each and Tyvon Williams chipped in 10 for South Carolina State, which won its fifth straight.
Mike Phillips scored 11 points for Howard (6-19, 5-5), and Dadrian Collins added 10.
- No. 9 Virginia cruises past SC State Nov 18
- SC State faces tall task in bout with No. 9 Virginia Nov 18
- Hot shooting leads Michgian past South Carolina State Nov 12
- SC State pays visit to No. 7 Michigan Nov 12
- No. 12 Missouri wallops South Carolina State Dec 18
- South Carolina State comes calling on Missouri Dec 17
- No. 17 Kansas downs Howard Dec 30
- Kansas welcomes Howard to Lawrence Dec 29
- Indiana thumps Howard Dec 19
- Bison seek upset of undefeated Hoosiers Dec 19
- No. 15 Pittsburgh holds off SC State Dec 17
- SC State comes calling on No. 15 Pittsburgh Dec 17