Campbell's 18 pace Portland over San Diego 70-56Feb 12, 2010 - 6:26 AM PORTLAND, Ore.(AP) -- T.J. Campbell hit five 3-pointers and scored 18 points to lead Portland to a 70-56 victory over San Diego on Thursday night.
Robin Smeulders added 14 points and 12 rebounds and Jared Stohl scored 14 points for the Pilots (15-8, 6-3 West Coast Conference), who solidified their hold on third place in the conference.
Chris Lewis came off the bench to score a team-high 13 points for the Toreros (9-17, 2-8).
San Diego played without its two leading scorers for the season. Senior Brandon Johnson, who was averaging 14.6 points, missed the game with a groin injury. Senior De'Jon Jackson, averaging 12.0, suffered a season-ending knee injury last week.
Despite the injuries, San Diego jumped to an 18-15 lead late in the first half. The Toreros managed two ties after that, the last coming at 23-23 with 2:30 left in the half. But Portland took control after that.
- NCAA BB
SAN DIEGO 56
PORTLAND 70 FINAL
Feb 12 12:56 AM
- NCAA BB
SAN DIEGO 23
PORTLAND 27 HALFTIME
Feb 11 11:52 PM
- Terry Porter introduced as new Portland Pilots coach Apr 5
- Portland Pilots hire Terry Porter as basketball coach Apr 2
- BYU escapes with 69-67 win over San Diego Feb 19
- Wintering sparks Portland past Abilene Christian, 87-57 Nov 23
- San Diego hires Lamont Smith as coach Mar 31
- San Diego fires men's hoops coach Grier Mar 16
- Gonzaga pulls away from San Diego Feb 27
- Toreros face tall task in clash with third-ranked Zags Feb 26
- No. 3 Gonzaga routs Portland Jan 30
- Pilots hope to fly past third-ranked Bulldogs Jan 29
- Gonzaga fends off Portland Jan 3
- Portland hosts No. 7 Gonzaga in WCC showdown Jan 3