James Madison rallies to defeat VCU 76-71Feb 14, 2010 - 2:12 AM HARRISONBURG, Va.(AP) -- Denzel Bowles scored 21 points and Julius Wells 20 as James Madison rallied from an eight-point halftime deficit to beat Virginia Commonwealth 76-71 on Saturday night.
A 3-pointer by Wells with 48 seconds remaining put the Dukes (11-15, 4-11 Colonial Athletic Association) ahead 72-69 and four free throws by Pierre Curtis in the final 18 seconds helped them end a four-game losing streak.
Curtis was 8-for-8 on free throws with 10 points and six assists.
James Madison opened the second half with a 19-2 run to lead 52-43 with 15:01 left. The Rams (17-7, 9-6) whittled the margin and took their only lead the rest of the way, 63-62, with 3:52 left on a basket by Larry Sanders, who had 15 points and 14 rebounds.
Joey Rodriguez added 14 points for VCU and Jamie Skeen scored all 12 of his points in the first half.
Bowles had 17 of his points for the Dukes in the first half.
- Things looking more normal for Wade in Year 2 at VCU May 13
- VCU announces sophomore F Michael Gilmore is transferring May 3
- James Madison hires alum Louis Rowe as men's hoops coach Mar 31
- VCU restructures, extends contract of men's hoops coach Wade Mar 29
- Oklahoma faces another dangerous double-digit seed in VCU Mar 19
- Payton II following in father's NCAA footsteps at Oregon St Mar 17
- VCU hoping to find winning formula again in NCAA Tournament Mar 16
- Matt Brady out at James Madison as men's basketball coach Mar 14
- VCU seeking another shot at A10 Tournament championship Mar 9
- JeQuan Lewis' growth at PG a key to VCU's winning streak Feb 5
- VCU coach Will Wade says surging Rams can't get complacent Jan 21
- Broken finger likely to sideline VCU's Burgess 'a few weeks' Jan 11