South Carolina State holds off Morgan State 71-68Feb 16, 2010 - 2:50 AM BALTIMORE(AP) -- Jason Flagler scored 24 points and South Carolina State defeated Morgan State 71-68 on Monday night.
The loss ended two 11-game streaks for Morgan State - overall wins and home wins.
Khalif Toombs and Darnell Porter each added 11 points for the Bulldogs (14-9, 8-4 Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference), who have won six of their past seven games. The win avenged a 72-67 loss to Morgan State on Jan. 16 as the Bulldogs remained a game behind Delaware State for second in the conference.
Leading 53-52, the Bulldogs went on an 11-0 run to grab a 64-52 lead with 6:49 to play after a free throw by Porter. The Bears would get no closer than three points the rest of the way and a 3-pointer to tie the game with 3 seconds remaining by Troy Smith was off the mark.
Reggie Holmes scored 17 points, Joe Davis added 13 and Kevin Thompson had 11 for the Bears (19-8, 10-1).
- NCAA BB
S CAROLINA ST 71
MORGAN ST 68 FINAL
Feb 15 9:01 PM
- NCAA BB
S CAROLINA ST 36
MORGAN ST 33 HALFTIME
Feb 15 7:49 PM
- No. 9 Virginia cruises past SC State Nov 18
- SC State faces tall task in bout with No. 9 Virginia Nov 18
- N.C. Central downs Morgan State in MEAC title game Mar 16
- Eagles and Bears clash in MEAC title tilt Mar 15
- Oregon cruises past Morgan State Dec 29
- Morgan State faces unenviable task of taking on No. 12 Oregon Dec 29
- Hot shooting leads Michgian past South Carolina State Nov 12
- SC State pays visit to No. 7 Michigan Nov 12
- Smith powers Buckeyes past Morgan State Nov 9
- Bears battle Buckeyes in season opener Nov 9
- NC A&T wins MEAC Mar 16
- MEAC crown up for grabs in clash between Aggies and Bears Mar 16