VCU eases past Drexel 73-54Feb 17, 2010 - 2:23 AM RICHMOND, Va.(AP) -- Larry Sanders notched a double-double, scoring 29 points and grabbing 13 rebounds, as Virginia Commonwealth topped Drexel 73-54 on Tuesday night.
Bradford Burgess also recorded a double-double, adding 11 points and 10 rebounds for the Rams (18-7, 10-6 Colonial Athletic Association). Sanders also had five blocks and two steals.
Sanders scored eight straight points midway through the first half as VCU went on a 17-4 run and held Drexel scoreless for 6:13, helping the Rams to a 33-21 halftime edge. Sanders finished with 12 points - hitting 5 of 6 field goals - and added five rebounds and three blocks in the half.
The Rams continued their domination with an 8-2 start to the second half, capped by Brandon Rozzell's 3-pointer. The Dragons never got closer than 13 the rest of the way.
Jamie Harris led the Dragons (15-13, 10-6) with 20 points and Shannon Givens added 12.
- Things looking more normal for Wade in Year 2 at VCU May 13
- VCU announces sophomore F Michael Gilmore is transferring May 3
- VCU restructures, extends contract of men's hoops coach Wade Mar 29
- Drexel hires Army's Zach Spiker as basketball coach. Mar 25
- Oklahoma faces another dangerous double-digit seed in VCU Mar 19
- Payton II following in father's NCAA footsteps at Oregon St Mar 17
- VCU hoping to find winning formula again in NCAA Tournament Mar 16
- VCU seeking another shot at A10 Tournament championship Mar 9
- Drexel fires coach Bruiser Flint after 15 seasons Mar 7
- JeQuan Lewis' growth at PG a key to VCU's winning streak Feb 5
- VCU coach Will Wade says surging Rams can't get complacent Jan 21
- Broken finger likely to sideline VCU's Burgess 'a few weeks' Jan 11