Northern Iowa tops Creighton 70-52 for MVC crownFeb 17, 2010 - 3:20 AM CEDAR FALLS, Iowa(AP) -- Northern Iowa clinched the first outright Missouri Valley Conference regular-season championship in school history by defeating Creighton 70-52 on Tuesday night.
Ali Farokhmanesh hit 5 3-pointers and scored 17 points for the Panthers (23-3, 14-2 MVC), who tied Creighton for the title last season. Johnny Moran also scored 17 points, and Kwadzo Ahelegbe had five rebounds and four assists.
Antoine Young led the Bluejays (13-14, 8-8) with 12 points. Justin Carter and Kenny Lawson Jr. had 11 each.
The Panthers raised their home record to 12-0 even without 7-foot center Jordan Eglseder, who was suspended for three games after his arrest for operating a motor vehicle while intoxicated.
Northern Iowa shot better from 3-point range at 48.1 percent (13 of 27) than overall at 45.5 percent (20 of 44).
Creighton started with a 7-0 lead, but Northern Iowa ran off the next nine points and never trailed again.
- Creighton's Maurice Watson Jr. says he's returning to school May 6
- Starter in 2014-15, Orange's Kaleb Joseph heads to Creighton Apr 18
- Texas A&M downs N Iowa with historic last-minute comeback Mar 21
- Experienced Panthers eager to carry momentum forward Mar 19
- Jesperson's halfcourt shot puts Northern Iowa past Texas Mar 19
- First-year Texas coach Smart no longer the underdog Mar 17
- Creighton's Maurice Watson continues to prove doubters wrong Feb 10
- Creighton hoping transfers Watson, Huff can spark turnaround Oct 21
- Northern Iowa gives Jacobson a new 10-year deal Apr 2
- Rozier, Louisville top UNI to reach 4th straight Sweet 16 Mar 23
- East Regional action pits Cards against Panthers Mar 22
- UNI holds off Wyoming Mar 20