Drake rallies late to top Southern Illinois 79-72Feb 17, 2010 - 3:44 AM DES MOINES, Iowa(AP) -- Ryan Wedel scored 17 points as Drake surged late to beat Southern Illinois 79-72 on Tuesday night.
Seth VanDeest added 14 points, Josh Young 13 and Adam Templeton 11 for the Bulldogs (12-16, 7-9 Missouri Valley), who snapped a four-game losing streak by rallying from a one-point deficit in the final 5 minutes.
Gene Teague's double-double of a career-high 18 points and 11 rebounds led the Salukis (14-12, 6-10). Tony Freeman added 18 points, 14 in the first half, and Justin Bocot scored 10.
After Craig Stanley made two free throws to put Drake ahead 59-54 with 6:47 left, Teague finished a 6-0 Southern Illinois run with two free throws to put his team up 60-59 with 4:53 to go.
But Young and Wedel struck for consecutive 3-pointers, and Drake was up 65-60 with 3:36 to play.
Drake swept the series from the Salukis, who led 32-30 at halftime.
- NCAA BB
SOUTHN ILLINOIS 72
DRAKE 79 FINAL
Feb 16 10:19 PM
- NCAA BB
SOUTHN ILLINOIS 32
DRAKE 30 HALFTIME
Feb 16 8:52 PM
- Drake hoping to turn corner in 2015-16 Oct 5
- Wichita State tops SIU in MVC QFs Mar 6
- Salukis seek upset of Shockers in MVC Tournament Mar 6
- Wichita State cruises past Southern Illinois Feb 17
- Salukis face tall task in clash with 13th-ranked Shockers Feb 17
- Northern Iowa easily handles Drake Feb 7
- Bulldogs hit road to challenge 14th-ranked Panthers Feb 7
- Northern Iowa stays hot with win over Southern Illinois Jan 28
- MVC melee pits Panthers against Salukis Jan 28
- No. 14 Wichita State routs Drake Jan 25
- Drake seeks upset of No. 14 Wichita State Jan 25
- Carter scores 25 as Wichita State beats Southern Illinois Jan 14