UAB's free throw edge beats Southern Miss 59-54Feb 18, 2010 - 4:34 AM HATTIESBURG, Miss.(AP) -- Howard Crawford led all scorers with 17 points and Alabama-Birmingham defeated Southern Mississippi 59-54 on Wednesday night.
The Blazers (20-5, 8-3 Conference USA) used an 8-3 run in the final 2 minutes to put the Eagles (15-10, 5-6) away for the fifth straight time and tie Tulsa for third in the conference.
Southern Miss led 22-21 at halftime and there were seven ties in the second half before the Blazers went ahead to stay on a pair of free throws by Crawford that made it 53-51 with 2:41 remaining.
Two more free throws by Crawford, two by Elijah Millsap and one by Aaron Johnson made it 58-51.
UAB shot 15-for-22 on free throws in the second half to Southern Miss' 8-for-13.
Jamarr Sanders added 14 points and Millsap 13 for UAB.
R.L. Horton led Southern Miss with 14 points and scored his 1,000th collegiate point on a 3-point shot to open the game.
- NCAA BB
SOUTHERN MISS 54 FINAL
Feb 17 10:17 PM
- NCAA BB
HALFTIME 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
UAB 21 21
SOUTHERN MISS 22 22 HALFTIME
HIGH SCORERS AT HALFTIME
UAB - HOWARD CRAWFORD 4, THREE PLAYERS WITH 3
SOUTHERN MISS - R.L. HORTON 7, GARY FLOWERS 5,
BUCHI AWAJI 4
Feb 17 8:57 PM
- UAB gives Robert Ehsan 5-year deal worth $450,000 annually Apr 20
- Former So. Miss coach Tyndall hit with 10-year show cause Apr 8
- UAB elevates Rob Ehsan to become men's basketball coach Apr 4
- UAB, Haase agree to new 6-year contract Mar 25
- UCLA beats UAB to reach Sweet 16 Mar 21
- Spot in Sweet 16 awaits winner of UAB vs. UCLA Mar 21
- UAB topples Iowa State for first upset of tourney Mar 19
- Cyclones start tournament in showdown with Blazers Mar 19
- UAB buries Middle Tennessee to claim C-USA crown Mar 14
- Blue Raiders, Blazers collide in C-USA title match Mar 14
- Southern Miss self-imposes postseason ban Jan 20
- Paige, No. 20 UNC cruise to win over UAB Dec 27