Penn State gets first Big Ten victory, 81-70Feb 18, 2010 - 3:47 AM EVANSTON, Ill.(AP) -- David Jackson and Chris Babb scored 20 points each as Penn State snapped a 12-game losing streak with an 81-70 victory over Northwestern on Wednesday night, dealing perhaps a fatal blow to the Wildcats' NCAA tournament chances.
Aiming for the first tournament bid in school history, Northwestern (17-9, 6-8 Big Ten) has sandwiched losses to league doormats Iowa and Penn State around an overtime victory over mediocre Minnesota.
Penn State (9-16, 1-12) finally won in conference play despite getting only 10 points from Talor Battle. The Big Ten's leading scorer came in averaging 20.3 and had scored at a 23.5-point clip the last eight games.
The Nittany Lions had lost five conference games by six points or fewer partly because they were the Big Ten's worst free-throw shooting team at 64.3 percent. But they went 20 for 23 from the line Wednesday - and shot 56 percent from the floor.
- NCAA BB
PENN ST 81
NORTHWESTERN 70 FINAL
Feb 17 10:32 PM
- NCAA BB
HALFTIME 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
PENN STATE 36 36
NORTHWESTERN 32 32 HALFTIME
HIGH SCORERS AT HALFTIME
PENN STATE - DAVID JACKSON 12, CHRIS BABB 6,
JEFF BROOKS 5
NORTHWESTERN - JOHN SHURNA 10, MICHAEL THOMPSON 10,
DREW CRAWFORD 5
Feb 17 9:18 PM
- Stifling D lifts Cornell over Penn State-Harrisburg, 76-47 Nov 23
- Northwestern F Vic Law to miss season with shoulder injury Nov 11
- Penn State at a Glance Oct 27
- Penn State's Chambers hopes momentum translates to wins Oct 27
- Northwestern looks to make jump in Collins' third season Oct 27
- Northwestern at a glance Oct 27
- Freshmen expected to contribute heavily for Penn State Oct 7
- Northwestern rewards Collins with extension May 26
- Chambers signs extension with Penn State Mar 20
- Russell rallies Ohio State past Penn State Mar 4
- Buckeyes hit road to tangle with Nittany Lions Mar 4
- No. 5 Wisconsin hangs on to beat Penn State Feb 18