USC holds off Washington in final minutes 67-64Feb 19, 2010 - 5:53 AM By TIM BOOTH AP Sports Writer
SEATTLE(AP) -- Dwight Lewis scored 16 of his 22 points in the first half, Mike Gerrity added six key points in the closing minutes and Southern California held off a furious rally by Washington in the final 10 minutes for a 67-64 win on Thursday night.
The Trojans (16-9, 8-5 Pac-10) handed Washington just its second home loss of the season and more importantly likely ended the Huskies (17-9, 7-7) hopes of repeating as Pac-10 regular season champs.
Down by 16 with nine minutes left, Washington suddenly awakened, closing within 61-60 on Venoy Overton's driving basket with 1:25 left.
But Gerrity answered with a layup of his own, then clinched the victory with a fallaway 12-footer with 15 seconds left. Gerrity finished with 12 points, all in the second half.
Quincy Pondexter led Washington with 18 points, but the Huskies NCAA tournament aspirations took a serious hit with the loss.
- NCAA BB
WASHINGTON 64 FINAL
Feb 19 12:40 AM
- NCAA BB
WASHINGTON 24 HALFTIME
Feb 18 11:23 PM
- Southern California extends coach Andy Enfield's contract Mar 28
- Washington's Murray, Chriss declare for NBA draft Mar 23
- NCAA wins scarce lately for Providence, Southern Cal Mar 16
- USC chosen for first NCAA Tournament since 2011 Mar 13
- Why Washington? ACC flexes muscles in big basketball market Mar 8
- Power outage briefly cuts lights at Oregon-USC game Mar 5
- Syracuse basketball rallies for ailing Dwayne Washington Mar 1
- Romar reprimanded by Pac-12 for comments after Huskies loss Feb 26
- Pac-12 says end of Washington-Oregon State handled properly Feb 25
- Dubious record: Washington may see most players foul out Feb 9
- Andrews putting together star season for surprising Huskies Feb 2
- Iona's suspends Washington 2 games for slap Jan 17