Culpepper's 29 points lead UTEP past Tulsa 78-70Feb 21, 2010 - 12:02 AM TULSA, Okla.(AP) -- Randy Culpepper scored 29 points to help Texas-El Paso remain atop the Conference USA with a 78-70 victory over Tulsa on Saturday.
The Miners (20-5, 11-1) put the game away early, keeping Tulsa (19-8, 8-5) to just 25 percent shooting in the first half while rolling to a 43-26 lead at the break.
Culpepper had 15 points in the period, including a trio of 3-pointers, while Derrick Caracter was also in double figures with 10. Caracter finished with 16 points.
The Hurricane's loss was their second at home in a week following a 23-game home win streak.
Ben Uzoh had 22 points, Jerome Jordan 19 and Justin Hurtt 15 for Tulsa.
UTEP had no problems with Tulsa's man-to-man defense, as Caracter bulled inside and Culpepper shot 3-pointers and drove to the basket with equal effect.
- NCAA BB
TULSA 70 FINAL
Feb 20 6:18 PM
- NCAA BB
TULSA 26 HALFTIME
Feb 20 4:59 PM
- Ex-Georgia coach Dennis Felton looking for another chance Apr 1
- Michigan's last-second shots set up First Four vs Tulsa Mar 16
- SMU beats Tulsa to claim AAC title Mar 8
- Tulsa and SMU meet for AAC crown Mar 8
- UTEP coach Floyd suspended 1 game Feb 27
- No. 23 SMU uses late run to down Tulsa Feb 7
- Mustangs seek to weather storm against Golden Hurricane Feb 7
- No. 3 Arizona outlasts UTEP Dec 20
- Third-ranked Wildcats hit road to battle Miners Dec 19
- Sooners roll over sputtering Tulsa Dec 13
- Rivals collide as Oklahoma takes on Tulsa Dec 13
- No. 9 Wichita State routs Tulsa Nov 30