Oakland, Mich., tops N. Dakota St. 88-81 for titleFeb 21, 2010 - 1:46 AM ROCHESTER, Mich.(AP) -- Johnathon Jones scored 24 points Saturday night as Oakland, Mich., clinched the Summit League regular-season championship with an 88-81 victory over North Dakota State.
Jones scored eight in a row midway through the second half to give the Golden Grizzlies (22-8, 16-1) the lead for good.
Derick Nelson had a double-double of 21 points and 14 rebounds, and Keith Benson scored 17 as Oakland improved to 26-1 in its last 27 home games.
Michael Tveidt's game-best 28 points led the Bison (10-16, 7-9). Eric Carlson added 14, Nate Zastrow 13 and Josh Vaughan 11.
North Dakota State led 41-35 at halftime. Benson finally put Oakland ahead 49-48 with 13:08 to go. But the Bison went back up 53-49 before Jones scored eight straight points to make it 57-53 with 9:41 left and put the Golden Grizzlies ahead for good.
The Bison couldn't come closer than three after that.
- NCAA BB
NO DAKOTA ST 81
OAKLAND 88 FINAL
Feb 20 8:03 PM
- NCAA BB
NO DAKOTA ST 41
OAKLAND 35 HALFTIME
Feb 20 6:53 PM
- Oakland University agrees to 3-year, $864K deal with Kampe Apr 11
- Oakland U's Kay Felder hires agent, will stay in draft Apr 8
- Oakland's Felder declares for draft, has not hired agent Apr 5
- South Dakota State men win Summit championship, 67-59 Mar 9
- North Dakota State edges IPFW in Summit tourney, 69-68 Mar 7
- Werner, N. Dakota St. beat IUPUI in Summit tourney quarters Mar 6
- Dupree returns to North Dakota St 2 weeks after leaving Jan 25
- North Dakota State guard leaves team in dispute over role Jan 12
- Oakland beats Robert Morris 92-74 behind Hooper Dec 5
- North Dakota State beats NAIA Valley City State 69-49 Nov 18
- Gonzaga holds off North Dakota State Mar 21
- Bison and Bulldogs get together in South Regional fracas Mar 20