Alabama-Birmingham defeats Houston 75-66Feb 21, 2010 - 4:24 AM BIRMINGHAM, Ala.(AP) -- Elijah Millsap had a double-double with 22 points and 14 rebounds, and Alabama-Birmingham downed Houston 75-66 on Saturday night.
Howard Crawford added 20 points and Aaron Johnson contributed with 10 assists for the Blazers (21-5, 9-3 Conference USA), who won their second game in a row after losing three of their previous four. The Blazers are 11-2 at home.
UAB bolted out to a 22-7 lead but Houston rallied to cut the lead to 34-33 at halftime.
The game was tied four times in the second half before UAB took control. Leading 63-59 with 3:59 to play, the Blazers put the game out of reach with an 11-2 run. Millsap, who made 12 of 16 free throw attempts, capped the run with a free throw for a 74-61 UAB lead with 40 seconds remaining.
Aubrey Coleman scored 20 points, Zamal Nixon had 15 and Maurice McNeil 12 for the Cougars (13-13, 5-7), who have lost two straight.
- NCAA BB
FINAL 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
HOUSTON 33 33 66
UAB 34 41 75 FINAL
HIGH SCORERS: HOUSTON - AUBREY COLEMAN 20, ZAMAL NIXON 15,
MAURICE MCNEIL 12
UAB - ELIJAH MILLSAP 22, HOWARD CRAWFORD 20,
TWO PLAYERS WITH 8
Feb 20 10:06 PM
- NCAA BB
UAB 75 0:00 LEFT, 2ND HALF
Feb 20 10:04 PM
- NCAA BB
UAB 34 HALFTIME
Feb 20 8:57 PM
- UAB gives Robert Ehsan 5-year deal worth $450,000 annually Apr 20
- UAB elevates Rob Ehsan to become men's basketball coach Apr 4
- Mississippi State suspends F Demetrius Houston indefinitely Nov 17
- UAB, Haase agree to new 6-year contract Mar 25
- UCLA beats UAB to reach Sweet 16 Mar 21
- Spot in Sweet 16 awaits winner of UAB vs. UCLA Mar 21
- UAB topples Iowa State for first upset of tourney Mar 19
- Cyclones start tournament in showdown with Blazers Mar 19
- UAB buries Middle Tennessee to claim C-USA crown Mar 14
- Blue Raiders, Blazers collide in C-USA title match Mar 14
- SMU gets past Houston Feb 12
- Mustangs and Cougars clash in AAC action Feb 12