San Diego State defeats Utah, 69-61Feb 21, 2010 - 4:24 AM SAN DIEGO(AP) -- Malcom Thomas scored 19 of his career-high 28 points in the first half and San Diego State held on for a 68-61 win over Utah on Saturday night.
San Diego State (20-7, 9-4 Mountain West Conference), which set a school mark by reaching 20 wins for the fifth straight season, swept Utah for only the second time in the series.
Carlon Brown scored 13 points to lead Utah (12-14, 5-7), which has lost five of seven.
The Aztecs won despite hitting just 9 of 16 free throws in the final 2:22, including a stretch of six consecutive misses. Thomas, a 50 percent free throw shooter, hit only 3 of 8 in the stretch.
But Thomas was sensational in the first half when he hit 8 of 9 shots, including only his second 3-pointer of the season. Freshman Kawhi Leonard had his 13th double-double with 14 points and 15 rebounds.
- Utah center Jakob Poeltl declares for NBA draft Apr 13
- Playing in the Garden nice consolation prize for Aztecs Mar 25
- Gonzaga's Sabonis gets best of Utah's Poeltl Mar 20
- Air up there: Zags, Utah features rare meeting of big men Mar 18
- Throwback centers featured in Denver's Midwest Regional Mar 16
- Fisher's Aztecs looking for 7th straight NCAA tourney berth Mar 9
- Seniors Taylor, Loveridge have No. 13 Utah rolling to finish Mar 3
- Taylor leads No. 22 Utah over No. 9 Arizona 70-64 Feb 27
- SDSU tops San Jose State 78-56 to clinch share of MWC title Feb 21
- Athletic big man Jakob Poeltl shines in post for Utah Feb 16
- Utah coach Krystkowiak says time to put 'big boy pants' on Feb 9
- San Diego St. 9-0 at halfway point of Mountain West schedule Feb 1