Saunders has 20 as Duquesne beats Dayton 73-71Feb 21, 2010 - 8:30 PM PITTSBURGH(AP) -- Damian Saunders had 20 points, including the go-ahead layup with 25.8 seconds to play, and Duquesne won for the fourth time in five games, 73-71 over Dayton on Sunday.
Saunders, who had 16 points in the second half, gave the Dukes a 72-71 lead by driving through traffic into the lane.
Dayton's Chris Johnson - who made a game-high six 3-pointers - missed a wide open shot from beyond the arc on the right wing with 13 seconds left. Saunders and Dayton's Chris Wright fought for possession on the rebound, and the possession arrow went to the Dukes.
Bill Clark made one of two free throws and Johnson air-balled a 3-point attempt as time expired.
Eric Evans added 14 points and Clark 12 for Duquesne (15-12, 6-7 Atlantic 10 Conference), which has won six of nine.
Johnson had 21 points and Wright 15 for the Flyers (18-8, 7-5), who have lost two of three.
- NCAA BB
DUQUESNE 73 FINAL
Feb 21 3:19 PM
- NCAA BB
DUQUESNE 30 HALFTIME
Feb 21 1:58 PM
- University of Dayton center Steve McElvene dies May 12
- Dayton gives coach Archie Miller an extra year on contract Mar 23
- Boeheim has Orange back in NCAA Tournament opposite Dayton Mar 17
- Duquesne overcomes poor shooting to beat Robert Morris 72-65 Dec 19
- Ferry gets extension at Duquesne Jun 30
- Dayton extends Archie Miller's contract through 2021-22 Mar 26
- Oklahoma advances to Sweet 16 with win over Dayton Mar 22
- Flyers and Sooners mix it up in third-round action Mar 22
- Pierre leads Dayton past Providence Mar 21
- Dayton and Providence meet in second round of NCAA Tourney Mar 20
- Dayton holds home court, beats Boise State to advance Mar 19
- Flyers and Broncos meet in first round of NCAA Tournament Mar 18