Marquette beats Cincinnati 79-76 in OTFeb 21, 2010 - 9:46 PM By JOE KAY AP Sports Writer
CINCINNATI(AP) -- Lazar Hayward emerged from a shooting slump at the end, hitting a 3-pointer that sent the game to overtime and adding five more points Sunday while rallying Marquette to a 79-76 victory over Cincinnati.
It was a significant game for two teams jostling to make the NCAA tournament. Marquette (17-9, 8-6 Big East) entered seventh in the conference standings, and Cincinnati (15-11, 6-8) was eighth. Marquette is one of the league's hottest teams, winning six of seven.
Hayward, fifth on Marquette's career scoring list, had a second straight subpar game, missing nine of 10 shots before hitting the tying 3 with 27.5 seconds left in regulation. Cincinnati's Rashad Bishop then missed a long jumper. Another 3 by Hayward put Marquette ahead to stay in overtime.
Darius Johnson-Odom and Jimmy Butler led Marquette with 20 points apiece. Bishop had 17 for Cincinnati.
- NCAA BB
CINCINNATI 76 FINAL IN 1ST OT
Feb 21 4:25 PM
- NCAA BB
CINCINNATI 67 END OF 2ND HALF GOING INTO OVERTIME
Feb 21 4:03 PM
- NCAA BB
CINCINNATI 39 HALFTIME
Feb 21 2:50 PM
- Marquette guard Wally Ellenson leaving basketball team Apr 21
- Marquette freshman Henry Ellenson declares for NBA draft Apr 5
- Cincinnati says Mick Cronin is staying after talks with UNLV Mar 25
- A late dunk, a last-second 3 add to Cincinnati's heartbreak Mar 21
- Saint Joseph's and Cincinnati to play in 1st round of NCAAs Mar 17
- Marquette's Ellenson day to day with sprained left ankle Mar 2
- Marquette, freshman star Henry Ellenson, wrap up at home Feb 29
- Led by freshman Ellenson, young Marquette seeks Feb. push Feb 10
- Snow sacks Marquette-St. John's basketball game Jan 23
- After road upset, young Marquette looks to improve at home Jan 8
- Wojciechowski gets 2-year extension at Marquette to 2022 Dec 29
- Fresh faces get in on Marquette-Wisconsin rivalry Dec 11