South Dakota beats New Jersey Tech 68-58Feb 26, 2010 - 3:06 AM NEWARK, N.J.(AP) -- Tyler Cain scored 20 points and grabbed 13 rebounds to help lead South Dakota to a 68-58 win over New Jersey Institute of Technology on Thursday night.
Mitchell Bouie added 14 points, including four straight as the Coyotes (16-9, 7-1 Great West Conference) snapped an 11-11 tie to lead for good. Bouie had 12 in the first half as South Dakota built a 27-18 lead at intermission.
The Coyotes, who led by as much as 63-49 with 1:07 remaining, won their seventh straight.
The Highlanders (8-17, 3-5) pulled within 64-56, but South Dakota went 12-for-14 from the free throw line in the final 2 minutes to seal it.
Kendall Cutler added 10 points for South Dakota.
Jheryl Wilson had 19 points and eight rebounds for the Highlanders, who shot just 29 percent from the field (21 of 71). Chris Flores added 12 before fouling out and P.J. Miller chipped in 11 for NJIT.
- NCAA BB
SOUTH DAKOTA 68
NJIT 58 FINAL
Feb 25 9:19 PM
- NCAA BB
SOUTH DAKOTA 27
NJIT 18 HALFTIME
Feb 25 8:10 PM
- Brian Kennedy taking over as head basketball coach at NJIT Apr 13
- IPFW beats South Dakota 86-70 in Summit League quarterfinal Mar 5
- South Dakota takes down Florida Gulf Coast 89-81 in OT Dec 28
- Lynn's 27 points leads NJIT late surge past USF Nov 16
- Villanova uses second-half charge to down upset-minded NJIT Dec 24
- NJIT faces tall task in clash with No. 7 Villanova Dec 23
- NJIT stuns No. 17 Michigan Dec 6
- NJIT faces uphill climb in clash with No. 17 Michigan Dec 6
- South Dakota names James interim coach Sep 7
- South Dakota's Tecker to miss senior season Apr 16
- No. 25 KSU turns it on late, beats South Dakota Dec 31
- South Dakota comes calling on Kansas State Dec 31