Jones' bank shot lifts Arizona over Stanford 71-69Feb 28, 2010 - 2:26 AM STANFORD, Calif.(AP) -- Lamont Jones banked in a game-winning 15-foot jumper at the buzzer and scored a career-high 16 points, lifting Arizona to a 71-69 victory over Stanford on Saturday.
Derrick Williams led the Wildcats (14-14, 8-8) with 24 points, making 8 of 10 shots from the field and 7 of 11 from the line. Solomon Hill had nine points and eight rebounds for Arizona.
Landry Fields, the Pac-10's leading scorer, had 24 points for Stanford (13-16, 7-10), while Jeremy Green scored 15 and Jarrett Mann a career-high 13.
Stanford led by as many as nine points midway through the second half, but Arizona rallied and tied the score 64-64 on Hill's inside basket with 4:10 left.
Williams made one of two free throws with 30 seconds left, tying the game again at 69. Williams then blocked a shot by Stanford's Jack Trotter, and Jones delivered the game-winner under heavy pressure, falling to the court as his shot banked home.
- NCAA BB
STANFORD 69 FINAL
Feb 27 9:03 PM
- NCAA BB
STANFORD 38 HALFTIME
Feb 27 7:49 PM
- Pitts transferring from Arizona May 17
- Arizona guard Allonzo Trier returning for sophomore season Apr 4
- Stanford's Rosco Allen declares for NBA draft Apr 1
- Stanford coach Jerod Haase once thought he'd play for school Mar 28
- Arizona's Justin Simon transferring after 1 season Mar 28
- Stanford hires Jerod Haase as new men's basketball coach Mar 25
- Arizona falters against Wichita State, loses 65-55 Mar 18
- Wichita State ready to keep rolling, faces Arizona Mar 16
- Stanford fires coach Johnny Dawkins after 8 seasons Mar 14
- Stanford suspends point guard Christian Sanders Mar 3
- Arizona coach Sean Miller fed up with court storming Feb 25
- Trier misses 3 at buzzer, No. 9 Arizona falls to Colorado Feb 25