McNeese State pulls away from Nicholls State 69-53Feb 28, 2010 - 12:16 AM LAKE CHARLES, La.(AP) -- Patrick Richard scored 12 points, including five during a 14-0 run to start the second half, as McNeese State defeated Nicholls State 69-53 on Saturday.
The Cowboys (10-18, 5-9 Southland Conference) improved their chances to make the eight-team conference tournament, which begins March 10. With a week left in the regular season, they moved into a tie with the Colonels (9-18, 5-9).
After a 3-pointer by Kenny Franklin Jr. brought Nicholls State within four points at halftime, 28-24, the Cowboys expanded their lead to 42-24 with 12:51 left in the game.
McNeese State outshot Nicholls State 59.3 percent (16-for-27) to 26.3 percent (5-for-19) in the second half.
Diego Kapelan had 11 points, and P.J. Alawoya had 10 points and 11 rebounds for the Cowboys, who had a 31-21 rebounding advantage.
Fred Hunter scored 11 points and Anatoly Bose 10 for the Colonels.
- NCAA BB
NICHOLLS ST 53
MCNEESE ST 69 FINAL
Feb 27 6:11 PM
- NCAA BB
NICHOLLS ST 24
MCNEESE ST 28 HALFTIME
Feb 27 5:12 PM
- Wisconsin crushes Nicholls Dec 13
- Colonels face tall task in clash with fifth-ranked Badgers Dec 13
- No. 19 Michigan eases past Nicholls Nov 30
- Wolverines seek redemption in clash with visiting Colonels Nov 29
- San Diego State blows past McNeese State Dec 22
- No. 24 San Diego State entertains McNeese State Dec 21
- Memphis dominates Nicholls State Nov 23
- Colonels face uphill climb in clash with 11th-ranked Tigers Nov 23
- Balanced attack sends Michigan State past McNeese State Nov 9
- No. 2 Michigan State opens against McNeese State Nov 8
- North Carolina routs McNeese State Dec 22
- McNeese State comes calling on No. 23 North Carolina Dec 22