Alabama rallies to beat South Carolina 79-70Mar 4, 2010 - 7:54 PM By PETE IACOBELLI AP Sports Writer
COLUMBIA, S.C.(AP) -- Justin Knox and Mikhail Torrance each had 17 points and Alabama, playing without leading scorer JaMychal Green, spoiled Devan Downey's final South Carolina home game with a 79-70 victory Wednesday night.
The Crimson Tide (15-14, 5-10 Southeastern Conference) came in having lost seven of their past eight and fell behind 11-0 in this one before rallying. Charvez Davis had two late 3-pointers, the second one that put Alabama ahead for good 65-64 with 4:29 to go.
South Carolina (14-15, 5-10) could not respond and lost its sixth straight - the team's longest losing streak in seven years.
Downey, the SEC's leading scorer, finished with 23 points. He also had three steals to set that Gamecock career mark with 273.
- NCAA BB
SOUTH CAROLINA 70 FINAL
Mar 3 8:58 PM
- NCAA BB
HALFTIME 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
ALABAMA 36 36
SOUTH CAROLINA 39 39 HALFTIME
HIGH SCORERS AT HALFTIME
ALABAMA - SENARIO HILLMAN 12, JUSTIN KNOX 10,
MIKHAIL TORRANCE 5
SOUTH CAROLINA - DEVAN DOWNEY 12, RAMON GALLOWAY 9,
BRANDIS RALEY-ROSS 7
Mar 3 7:44 PM
- South Carolina forward Raymond Doby leaving the program May 18
- Alabama signs Ohio State transfer Daniel Giddens May 17
- Alabama signs graduate transfer guard from Morehead State May 2
- Alabama hires John Pelphrey as associate head coach Apr 13
- South Carolina dismisses suspended players Gregory, Cobb Apr 4
- Gamecocks give men's coach Frank Martin 4-year extension Apr 1
- South Carolina got told it was in - except, it wasn't Mar 31
- Alabama players Coleman, Kessens leaving program Mar 30
- Offseason questions loom for Frank Martin, South Carolina Mar 23
- 2 South Carolina players arrested over BB gun shooting Mar 17
- Johnson taking the long view after first season at Alabama Mar 16
- 5 South Carolina players suspended before NIT game Mar 15