Memphis takes 70-65 win over Alabama-BirminghamMar 4, 2010 - 4:27 AM BIRMINGHAM, Ala.(AP) -- Doneal Mack scored 18 points and Elliott Williams had 17 points and nine rebounds as Memphis defeated Alabama-Birmingham 70-65 on Wednesday night for the Tigers' ninth consecutive victory in the series.
Memphis (22-8, 12-3 Conference USA) won despite scoring only three points over a 10-minute span in the second half. The Tigers led 52-38 with 14 minutes to play, then held off a Blazers rally that saw UAB (23-6, 11-4) pull to within three points.
The victory gives Memphis sole possession of second place in Conference USA. The loss snapped the Blazers' four-game winning streak and dealt a blow to their NCAA tournament chances.
Elijah Millsap led UAB with 19 points and nine rebounds. The Blazers were 21-for-65 from the field (32.3 percent) and 3-for-24 from 3-point range (12.5 percent).
The Tigers sank 13 of 22 shots (59.1 percent) to take a 36-29 halftime lead.
- NCAA BB
UAB 65 FINAL
Mar 3 11:08 PM
- NCAA BB
UAB 29 HALFTIME
Mar 3 9:47 PM
- Tubby Smith adds 4 assistants to his Memphis coaching staff May 10
- UAB gives Robert Ehsan 5-year deal worth $450,000 annually Apr 20
- Memphis hires Tubby Smith as Tigers' new basketball coach Apr 14
- UAB elevates Rob Ehsan to become men's basketball coach Apr 4
- Memphis reviewing possible AD, coach conflict of interest Mar 22
- Josh Pastner to stay at Memphis despite missing NCAAs again Mar 18
- American Athletic Conference suspends Memphis' Shaq Goodwin Jan 5
- Memphis athletic director Tom Bowen gets 2-year extension Oct 8
- UAB, Haase agree to new 6-year contract Mar 25
- UCLA beats UAB to reach Sweet 16 Mar 21
- Spot in Sweet 16 awaits winner of UAB vs. UCLA Mar 21
- UAB topples Iowa State for first upset of tourney Mar 19