Mitchell, Torrance lead Alabama past Auburn 73-61Mar 6, 2010 - 9:01 PM By JOHN ZENOR AP Sports Writer
TUSCALOOSA, Ala.(AP) -- Tony Mitchell scored 16 points and Mikhail Torrance had 13 points and 12 rebounds to help Alabama close the regular season with a 73-61 victory over Auburn on Saturday.
The Crimson Tide (16-14, 6-10 Southeastern Conference) snapped a four-game losing streak to its in-state rival in a game that was close most of the way.
The Tigers (15-16, 6-10) shot just 35.5 percent, making 22 of 62 attempts.
The Tide broke open a one-point game with a 24-10 run to take a 61-47 lead with 2:32 left on a basket and free throw by Torrance, who also had six assists. Hines and Mitchell combined for 13 points during the surge, almost all of them coming around the basket.
Chris Hines added 13 points for the Tide.
Tay Waller led Auburn with 22 points to continue his recent hot streak. He made 4 of 12 3-pointers.
- NCAA BB
FINAL 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
AUBURN 30 31 61
ALABAMA 31 42 73 FINAL
HIGH SCORERS: AUBURN - TAY WALLER 22, DEWAYNE REED 17,
BRENDON KNOX 6
ALABAMA - TONY MITCHELL 16, CHRIS HINES 13,
MIKHAIL TORRANCE 13
Mar 6 3:48 PM
- NCAA BB
ALABAMA 31 HALFTIME
Mar 6 2:35 PM
- Alabama signs Ohio State transfer Daniel Giddens May 17
- Auburn players Shamsid-Deen, Reed won't return next season May 6
- Alabama signs graduate transfer guard from Morehead State May 2
- Alabama hires John Pelphrey as associate head coach Apr 13
- Alabama players Coleman, Kessens leaving program Mar 30
- Johnson taking the long view after first season at Alabama Mar 16
- Obasohan helps lead Alabama into NCAA tourney contention Feb 18
- Pearl: Auburn's Kareem Canty leaves team, school to turn pro Feb 12
- Johnson, Bama's tough run starts with No. 15 Texas A&M Feb 9
- Auburn will be without leading scorer against Tennessee Feb 8
- Auburn top scorer Kareem Canty suspended indefinitely Feb 6
- Pearl: Auburn's Cinmeon Bowers to return against LSU Feb 1