Georgia Southern defeats Troy 80-77Nov 29, 2009 - 11:45 PM STATESBORO, Ga.(AP) -- Willie Powers hit a jumper with 2 seconds left to help lift Georgia Southern to an 80-77 victory over Troy on Sunday.
Powers' shot gave the Eagles (3-4) a 78-77 lead and Johntavious Rucker added two free throws with 1 second left.
There were six ties and five lead changes in the final 2:14.
The Trojans (4-3) took a 75-74 lead on Vernon Taylor's free throws with 49 seconds left, but Georgia Southern reclaimed it as Powers, who scored 16 points, hit two free throws with 16 seconds to go in the Legends Classic.
Richard Delk sank two more free throws to give Troy a 77-76 advantage with 11 seconds remaining.
Georgia Southern shot 60.7 percent from the field (17-for-28) in the second half.
Ben Drayton led the Eagles with 21 points, Antonio Hanson scored 14 and Antoine Johnson had 10 points.
Brandon Hazzard scored 22 points and Delk finished with 20.
- Georgia State makes NCAAs for 1st time since 2001 Mar 15
- Georgia pride and Sun Belt title up for grabs Mar 15
- Georgia Southern tabs Byington as men's basketball coach Apr 1
- Troy names Cunningham new men's basketball coach Mar 26
- Georgia Southern dismisses Young after 4 seasons Mar 12
- No. 17 Mississippi State routs Troy Dec 10
- Trojans hit road seeking upset of 17th-ranked Bulldogs Dec 10
- White scores 27 as Ole Miss tops Troy 84-65 in NIT Mar 17
- North Texas 66, Troy 63 Mar 9
- North Texas edges Troy 66-63 for Sun Belt bid Mar 9
- Troy recovers to defeat Western Kentucky 54-48 Mar 8
- Troy beats S. Alabama 67-55 in Sun Belt quarters Mar 7