Yale rallies, then holds off Colgate 65-55Nov 18, 2009 - 12:12 AM STORRS, Conn.(AP) -- Alex Zampier scored 16 points and Yale rallied to beat Colgate 65-55 on Tuesday to earn its first victory of the season.
The Bulldogs (1-2) opened the second half with 12 unanswered points to take the lead in the consolation round of the NIT Season Tip-Off.
Trailing 30-28 at halftime, Yale held Colgate (0-2) scoreless for nearly 7 minutes as the Bulldogs took advantage of six turnovers by the Raiders to build a 40-30 lead.
Colgate closed to within 40-39, but Zampier and Reggie Willhite keyed an 11-2 rally that put the Bulldogs back in control.
Zampier led Yale with 16 points and Jordan Gibson had 14. Yale, which was dominated on the boards by Hofstra in its first-round loss Monday night, had a 38-27 rebounding edge against Colgate, sparked by Michael Sands' 12 rebounds.
Colgate was led by Kyle Roemer's 18 points. Yaw Gyawu had 12 and Mike Venezia scored 11.
- Defending champ Duke, upstart Yale ready for 2nd round clash Mar 18
- From controversy to NCAA upset artist, Yale eyeing more Mar 18
- Yale blocks out captain's dismissal heading to NCAA tourney Mar 16
- Former Yale captain says he'll sue school over expulsion Mar 14
- Yale, without captain, celebrates first bid in 54 years Mar 13
- Yale team navigates campus anger amid NCAA Tournament bid Mar 10
- Yale captain Montague won't return to Ivy league leaders Feb 24
- Harvard edges Yale in thriller for Ivy League title Mar 15
- Ohio State pulls away from Colgate Dec 7
- Buckeyes seek redemption in bout with visiting Raiders Dec 6
- Murray State beats Yale for CIT title Apr 3
- Racers host Bulldogs for CIT crown Apr 3