Braswell hits 4 FTs to lift Yale over Elon 69-65Nov 25, 2009 - 5:28 AM HEMPSTEAD, N.Y.(AP) -- Porter Braswell made four free throws and had a key steal in the final 13 seconds to lift Yale to a 69-65 victory over Elon on Tuesday night.
The Bulldogs (2-4), who trailed 61-54 with 5:09 left in the NIT Season Tip-off, rallied to tie the score at 63 on a 3-pointer by Alex Zampier with 1:04 left.
Elon's Chris Long made two free throws with 31 seconds remaining, but Michael Sands dunked off a feed from Zampier to tie the score at 65.
Braswell stole the ball from Josh Bonney and was fouled. He made both free throws to give Yale its first lead of the half at 67-65, then made two more foul shots with 2 seconds left to seal the victory.
Zampier paced Yale (2-4) with 17 points.
The Bulldogs made 17 of 19 free throws and are now shooting 82.4 percent for the season.
Adam Constantine led the Phoenix (2-4), who had 23 turnovers, with 16 points.
- NCAA BB
YALE 69 FINAL
Nov 24 6:22 PM
- NCAA BB
YALE 28 HALFTIME
Nov 24 5:13 PM
- Defending champ Duke, upstart Yale ready for 2nd round clash Mar 18
- From controversy to NCAA upset artist, Yale eyeing more Mar 18
- Yale blocks out captain's dismissal heading to NCAA tourney Mar 16
- Former Yale captain says he'll sue school over expulsion Mar 14
- Yale, without captain, celebrates first bid in 54 years Mar 13
- Yale team navigates campus anger amid NCAA Tournament bid Mar 10
- Yale captain Montague won't return to Ivy league leaders Feb 24
- Harvard edges Yale in thriller for Ivy League title Mar 15
- Okafor's big night carries Duke over Elon Dec 15
- Duke gets back to work against Elon Dec 15
- Murray State beats Yale for CIT title Apr 3
- Racers host Bulldogs for CIT crown Apr 3