Sims' 3 lifts Tulane past Penn State 63-60Nov 20, 2009 - 8:09 PM CHARLESTON, S.C.(AP) -- Tulane's Kevin Sims made a 3-pointer from the top of the key with 19 seconds to play and the Green Wave held on to beat Penn State 63-60 Friday in the second round of the Charleston Classic at Carolina First Arena.
Aaron Holmes led Tulane (1-2) with 17 points and Kris Richard added 11.
Talor Battle scored 17 points for Penn State (2-2).
Tulane led by 10 with 7:57 to play, but Penn State battled back, despite shooting 27.6 percent from the field.
The Green Wave shot 36 percent from the field.
Penn State led 25-24 after a closely contested first half in which neither team led by more than five points.
Tulane will play at 12:30 p.m. Sunday against the winner of Friday's game between Davidson and La Salle. Penn State will play at 10 a.m. Sunday against the loser.
- NCAA BB
FINAL 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
PENN STATE 25 35 60
TULANE 24 39 63 FINAL
HIGH SCORERS: PENN STATE - TALOR BATTLE 15, JEFF BROOKS 15,
TIM FRAZIER 8
TULANE - AARON HOLMES 14, KRIS RICHARD 14,
KEVIN SIMS 11
Nov 20 2:38 PM
- NCAA BB
PENN ST 25
TULANE 24 HALFTIME
Nov 20 1:19 PM
- Tulane's Dunleavy explains decision to try college now Mar 29
- Ex-NBA coach Dunleavy Sr. takes first college job at Tulane Mar 28
- Tulane AD: Ed Conroy out as Tulane men's basketball coach Mar 14
- Stifling D lifts Cornell over Penn State-Harrisburg, 76-47 Nov 23
- Penn State at a Glance Oct 27
- Penn State's Chambers hopes momentum translates to wins Oct 27
- Freshmen expected to contribute heavily for Penn State Oct 7
- Chambers signs extension with Penn State Mar 20
- Russell rallies Ohio State past Penn State Mar 4
- Buckeyes hit road to tangle with Nittany Lions Mar 4
- No. 5 Wisconsin hangs on to beat Penn State Feb 18
- Penn State entertains No. 5 Wisconsin Feb 18