Purdue 85, Saint Joseph's 60Nov 23, 2009 - 5:19 AM St. THOMAS, Virgin Islands (AP) -- After trailing by nine in the first half, Purdue got a big run to start the second half and ended St. Joseph's hopes of an upset.
JaJuan Johnson had 18 points and 10 rebounds and the seventh -ranked Boilermakers used a 23-3 run after halftime to pull away and beat St. Joseph's 85-60 on Sunday night in the Paradise Jam.
"When we fell behind it was a good opportunity for us to show some poise and keep fighting," Purdue coach Matt Painter said. "The key was our defense; (Chris) Kramer caused havoc and made it hard for them to get into their offense."
The Hawks missed nine of their first 10 shots in the second half and committed seven turnovers during the Boilermakers' surge.
"It's a game of skill, and we didn't show skill in any part of our game," Hawks coach Phil Martelli said. "With their aggressive style, they exposed our flaws."
Ryne Smith added 16 points while E'Twaun Moore and Mark Wohlford each scored 11 for the Boilermakers (3-0), who rallied to take a 31-30 lead at halftime.
"On the offensive end, we were getting a lot better looks and we moved the ball," said Painter, whose team had 21 assists. "We kept attacking and we were patient when the shot wasn't there."
The Boilermakers play No. 10 Tennessee in the championship game on Monday night. The Vols beat DePaul 57-53 earlier Sunday.
"Tennessee has the ability to beat you in a lot of different ways," Painter said. "They have a lot of weapons."
Garrett Williamson led St. Joseph's (3-1) with 12 points. The Hawks will play DePaul in the consolation game.
- NCAA BB
FINAL 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
PURDUE (7) 31 54 85
ST. JOSEPH'S (PA) 30 30 60 FINAL
HIGH SCORERS: PURDUE - JAJUAN JOHNSON 18, RYNE SMITH 16,
E'TWAUN MOORE 11
ST. JOSEPH'S (PA) - BRYANT IRWIN 10, IDRIS HILLIARD 9,
GARRETT WILLIAMSON 9
Nov 22 11:05 PM
- NCAA BB
PURDUE (7) 31
SAINT JOSEPHS 30 HALFTIME
Nov 22 9:50 PM
- Former Michigan guard formally joins Purdue program May 17
- Purdue's Edwards declares for NBA draft without agent Apr 5
- Purdue's Kendall Stephens plans to explore transferring Mar 31
- Boilermakers forward Caleb Swanigan plans to test NBA draft Mar 22
- Versatility a key as top-seed Oregon faces St. Joseph's Mar 19
- Saint Joseph's and Cincinnati to play in 1st round of NCAAs Mar 17
- One-hit wonder? Little Rock hopes to keep turnaround going Mar 16
- Hammons' turnaround helps put Purdue back on national map Mar 15
- Saint Joseph's flying high as Atlantic 10 contenders Feb 19
- Purdue's Swanigan out vs. Minnesota with ankle injury Jan 27
- Saint Joseph's rolls to 75-60 win over Penn Jan 20
- IPFW coasts past Purdue North Central 126-95 Jan 2