Northern Iowa defeats Old Dominion 71-62Feb 20, 2010 - 2:55 AM CEDAR FALLS, Iowa(AP) -- Ali Farokhmanesh scored 23 points as Northern Iowa defeated Old Dominion 71-62 in a BracketBuster game Friday night, breaking the school record for wins in a season.
The Panthers are 24-3 after winning eight of nine and are one victory from completing and undefeated run at home. They are 13-0 at the McLeod Center this season and have won 14 straight there dating back to last season.
Gerald Lee scored 19 points to lead the Monarchs (21-8), who fell to 4-1 all-time in BracketBuster games.
Down 8-6 early, Northern Iowa put together a 15-2 run and never trailed again. The Panthers led 31-22 at halftime and extended their lead to as many as 14.
Old Dominion pulled to within 51-46 with 9:19 to play, but Northern Iowa answered with a 5-0 and the Monarchs didn't get closer than six the rest of the way.
- Texas A&M downs N Iowa with historic last-minute comeback Mar 21
- Experienced Panthers eager to carry momentum forward Mar 19
- Jesperson's halfcourt shot puts Northern Iowa past Texas Mar 19
- First-year Texas coach Smart no longer the underdog Mar 17
- Scoring spree: ODU guard Trey Freeman putting up big numbers Feb 17
- Northern Iowa gives Jacobson a new 10-year deal Apr 2
- Rozier, Louisville top UNI to reach 4th straight Sweet 16 Mar 23
- East Regional action pits Cards against Panthers Mar 22
- UNI holds off Wyoming Mar 20
- East Regional action pits Wyoming against Northern Iowa Mar 20
- Northern Iowa claims Missouri Valley title Mar 8
- Redbirds tangle with Panthers for MVC Tournament title Mar 8