Virginia Commonwealth cruises past Akron 70-53Feb 20, 2010 - 11:49 PM RICHMOND, Va.(AP) -- Larry Sanders scored 15 points and Brandon Rozzell added 13 as Virginia Commonwealth topped Akron 70-53 on Saturday.
The Rams (19-7) stretched their regular season non-conference home winning streak to 16 games, and are 14-1 this season at home. Akron (20-8) had its five-game win streak snapped, failing to match their season best six-game winning streak.
Virginia Commonwealth had a 12-2 spurt midway through the first half to take a 28-15 lead with 5:22 left. Sanders had five points during the run, and finished the half with 11 points, six rebounds and two blocks.
The Rams led at halftime 34-22.
The Zips closed to 43-39 with 14:01 left on Steve McNees' 3-pointer, but the Rams ran off a 13-5 spree which gave them a 56-44 lead with 7:44 left. Akron got no closer than 10 the rest of the way.
McNees and Anthony Hitchens led the Zips with nine points each.
- Things looking more normal for Wade in Year 2 at VCU May 13
- VCU announces sophomore F Michael Gilmore is transferring May 3
- VCU restructures, extends contract of men's hoops coach Wade Mar 29
- Oklahoma faces another dangerous double-digit seed in VCU Mar 19
- Payton II following in father's NCAA footsteps at Oregon St Mar 17
- VCU hoping to find winning formula again in NCAA Tournament Mar 16
- VCU seeking another shot at A10 Tournament championship Mar 9
- JeQuan Lewis' growth at PG a key to VCU's winning streak Feb 5
- VCU coach Will Wade says surging Rams can't get complacent Jan 21
- Broken finger likely to sideline VCU's Burgess 'a few weeks' Jan 11
- Wade to begin VCU's post-Shaka era with modified 'Havoc' Nov 10
- Wade leaves Chattanooga to return to VCU Apr 7