Towson defeats James Madison 81-78Feb 9, 2010 - 3:55 AM TOWSON, Md.(AP) -- Jarrel Smith scored 21 points and Towson defeated James Madison 81-78 on Monday night.
The Tigers (6-17, 3-10 Colonial Athletic Association) led 59-44 on Isaiah Philmore's free throws with 10:51 to go.
The Dukes (10-14, 3-10) pulled within 72-68 with 2:18 remaining, and sent the Tigers to the foul line the rest of the way.
Towson made just 5 of 10 free throws in the final 55 seconds, allowing James Madison to chip away.
The Dukes turned three instances where the Tigers made just one of two free throws into nine points.
After Darren White's 3-pointer pulled James Madison within 79-78 with 5 seconds left, Troy Franklin became the only Towson player in four tries to make both his free throws, sealing the win.
Rashawn Polk finished with 13 points and Robert Nwankwo added 11 for the Tigers.
Denzel Bowles led the Dukes with 29 point and 13 rebounds.
- NCAA BB
TOWSON 81 FINAL
Feb 8 9:19 PM
- NCAA BB
TOWSON 35 HALFTIME
Feb 8 8:01 PM
- James Madison hires alum Louis Rowe as men's hoops coach Mar 31
- Matt Brady out at James Madison as men's basketball coach Mar 14
- Buckeyes beat up on Dukes Nov 28
- Virginia cruises past JMU in opener Nov 15
- Instate foes collide as Cavs take on Dukes Nov 14
- Skerry's contract extended through 2020 May 2
- Wiggins leads Kansas past Towson Nov 22
- Towson hits road to challenge No. 2 Kansas Nov 22
- Virginia takes care of James Madison Nov 9
- No. 24 Virginia opens season against James Madison Nov 8
- Towson's Skerry given contract extension Aug 15
- Ferrell fuels Hoosiers in rout of James Madison Mar 22