UNLV cruises past Southern UtahDec 19, 2010 - 6:24 AM Las Vegas, NV (Sports Network) - Anthony Marshall scored a game-high 17 points to lead No. 22 UNLV in a 72-50 rout of Southern Utah at the Thomas & Mack Center.
Carlos Lopez added 12 points and 11 rebounds for the Rebels (10-2), who had lost their last two after a season-opening nine-game win streak. Chace Stanback had nine points, while Tre'Von Willis and Justin Hawkins both had eight in the dominant win.
"We had a pretty good game to start with and dictated defensively early on," UNLV coach Lon Kruger said. "We moved the ball pretty well and took better care of the ball. A lot of guys saw some action, so that's great."
Matt Hodgson recorded 12 points and 10 rebounds for Southern Utah (3-8), who have lost four of their last five and all 20 meetings with UNLV. Jordan Weirick contributed 10 points in defeat.
UNLV jumped out to a quick lead and never looked back.
A game-opening 14-6 run ended when Lopez put home a dunk eight minutes into the game. After Damon Heuir's slam pulled Southern Utah within 16-10 with 10 1/2 minutes left, the Rebels scored 13 straight points to assume command.
Stanback's three began the spurt, and five points from Hawkins, including a pair of free throws with seven minutes left, provided a 29-10 advantage.
The margin remained 19 at halftime, 37-18, and UNLV cruised through the second half.
Lopez's layup nearly six minutes into the second half put the Rebels ahead, 50-25, and the margin was never smaller than 22 the rest of the way.
UNLV shot 45.6 percent from the field, compared to 34.7 percent for Southern Utah...The Thunderbirds shot a miserable 14-of-29 from the free throw line...Both teams struggled from three-point range: UNLV shot 3-for-16, while Southern Utah shot 2-for-11...The Thunderbirds committed 22 turnovers, compared to 11 for the Rebels.
- SOUTHERN UTAH: 50
Dec 19 12:02 AM
- SOUTHERN UTAH: 18
Dec 18 10:57 PM
- SOUTHERN UTAH: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Dec 18 10:07 PM
- Menzies adds 3 more to UNLV recruiting class May 19
- UNLV's Menzies fills out staff with 3 hires May 5
- UNLV approves $3.75 million contract for Marvin Menzies Apr 22
- UNLV hires Menzies as basketball coach after Beard bolts Apr 17
- UNLV introduces Chris Beard as Runnin' Rebels coach Apr 8
- UNLV hires Little Rock's Chris Beard as next coach Mar 28
- UNLV freshman Jones Jr. ineligible for rest of the season Mar 2
- UNLV loses freshman center Zimmerman to sprained left knee Feb 8
- UNLV dismisses guard Daquan Cook from team Feb 5
- UNLV gets back to business with interim coach Jan 11
- Rice resigns as UNLV's coach in middle of fifth season Jan 10
- Saint Mary's rolls over Southern Utah 92-36 Dec 17