UNLV stays unbeaten with win over NevadaDec 5, 2010 - 7:41 AM Reno, NV (Sports Network) - Oscar Bellfield scored a game-high 24 points to lift the No. 24 UNLV Rebels over Nevada, 82-70, at Lawlor Events Center.
Bellfield was hot from the three-point arc, shooting 5-of-6 for the Rebels (8-0), who recorded their second straight win on the road. Tre'Von Willis chipped in with 11 points and five rebounds, while Derrick Jasper had 12 points in the victory.
Malik Story and Deonte Burton both had 15 points for Nevada (1-6), which has dropped its last six after winning the season-opener against Montana. Dario Hunt posted a double-double with 14 points and 13 rebounds in the loss.
The Rebels jumped out to a 22-2 lead midway through the first half. The run was capped off by a Carlos Lopez three-point play with 9:43 left.
The Wolf Pack were ice cold from the get-go and took nearly 11 minutes to make their first field goal on Burton's jump shot. They ended up 5-of-24 shooting during the opening 20 minutes.
Nevada would never get within single digits the rest of the half -- and game -- while Bellfield's free throws with six ticks left in the half gave UNLV a 46-25 lead at the break.
The margin was cut to 10, 62-52, with eight minutes remaining in the contest when Burton drained a three-pointer. But UNLV kept its distance, growing the lead to 18 on Bellfield's fifth and final trey of the game with 3:22 left.
The Rebels were able to cruise the rest of the way to seal the victory.
Justin Hawkins scored 10 points in the win...The Rebels shot 53.7 percent from the field, while the Wolf Pack shot 41.8 percent...UNLV converted 32 points off Nevada's 17 turnovers...The Wolf Pack only made five of their 20 three point attempts, while Bellfield made five of UNLV's six three pointers.
- UNLV: 82
Dec 5 1:06 AM
- UNLV: 46
Dec 5 12:01 AM
- UNLV: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Dec 4 11:10 PM
- Menzies adds 3 more to UNLV recruiting class May 19
- UNLV's Menzies fills out staff with 3 hires May 5
- AP Source: Former UNLV coach Dave Rice hired at Nevada Apr 25
- UNLV approves $3.75 million contract for Marvin Menzies Apr 22
- UNLV hires Menzies as basketball coach after Beard bolts Apr 17
- Nevada defends hire of Cal assistant accused of harassment Apr 15
- Nevada hires former Cal assistant Yann Hufnagel Apr 9
- UNLV introduces Chris Beard as Runnin' Rebels coach Apr 8
- UNLV hires Little Rock's Chris Beard as next coach Mar 28
- UNLV freshman Jones Jr. ineligible for rest of the season Mar 2
- UNLV loses freshman center Zimmerman to sprained left knee Feb 8
- UNLV dismisses guard Daquan Cook from team Feb 5