Baylor makes quick work of Bethune-CookmanDec 16, 2010 - 5:55 AM Waco, TX (Sports Network) - LaceDarius Dunn posted 24 points and Perry Jones III added 15 and nine rebounds, as ninth-ranked Baylor cruised past Bethune- Cookman, 83-39, at the Ferrell Center.
"It had been awhile (since we played," said Dunn. "But it was fun to get out there and playing against Bethune-Cookman and just getting back into the flow of things."
Quincy Acy chipped in with 14 points and 10 rebounds, while J'mison Morgan totaled 11 points for the Bears (7-0), who disposed of the overmatched Wildcats ahead of a Saturday showdown with Gonzaga in Dallas.
C.J. Reed tallied 13 points to pace Bethune-Cookman (5-6), which lost for the second time in three games.
"We were beaten by a much, much better team," said Bethune-Cookman head coach Clifford Reed, Jr. "They are (ranked) ninth in the country and they showed that tonight. They flexed their muscles, athletic, long, and a lot of shooters."
The Wildcats hung around early, cutting the deficit to 9-8 on Alexander Starling's layup just over 4 1/2 minutes into the contest. A three-pointer from Dunn pushed the edge to 26-14 approaching the 8 1/2-minute mark, and Baylor stayed in control with a 38-22 margin at the break.
Baylor was off to the races in the early stages of the second half, taking a 52-32 lead on Jones' slam with just over 14 minutes to play. From there, Baylor outscored the Wildcats, 31-7, as the visitors made just two field goals in the final 14 1/2 minutes. By the time Reed drained a trey with just over eight minutes to play, Baylor had embarked on a 19-2 stretch to take complete control.
The Bears cruised to victory in the final eight-plus minutes.
Baylor made 53.8 percent of its shots and 22-of-29 from the charity stripe...A.J. Walton contributed 10 assists to just one turnover and four points for the Bears...Bethune-Cookman made only 31.3 percent of its shots and committed 13 turnovers...This was the first-ever meeting between the two schools.
- BETHUNE-COOKMAN: 39
Dec 15 9:50 PM
- BETHUNE-COOKMAN: 22
Dec 15 8:50 PM
- BETHUNE-COOKMAN: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Dec 15 8:09 PM
- King's heart: Baylor freshman playing with defibrillator Mar 15
- Bethune-Cookman beats Trinity Baptist 108-54 in opener Nov 13
- Baylor hopes to be motivated by lasting NCAA tourney image Oct 28
- Baylor at a glance Oct 28
- Georgia State upsets Baylor on Hunter's 3 Mar 19
- Bears and Panthers clash in West Regional Mar 19
- No. 9 Kansas tops No. 16 Baylor to reach Big 12 title game Mar 14
- Baylor and Kansas meet in Big 12 Tournament semifinals Mar 13
- Baylor tops West Virginia in Big 12 tourney Mar 12
- Mountaineers challenge Bears in Big 12 Tournament action Mar 12
- Baylor rallies past Texas Tech Mar 7
- Texas Tech and Baylor meet in regular-season finale Mar 6