Fisher, No. 10 Wildcats handle DelawareDec 19, 2010 - 3:36 AM Villanova, PA (Sports Network) - Corey Fisher scored 21 points on 7-of-13 shooting, and 10th-ranked Villanova defeated Delaware, 78-59, at Wells Fargo Center.
Maalik Wayns added 14 points for the Wildcats (9-1), who have won four straight since losing to Tennessee. James Bell and Corey Stokes both had 10 points in the victory.
Jawan Carter led the Blue Hens (5-3) with 14 points, though Delaware was unable to extend its five-game win streak. Jamelle Hagins added 12 points in defeat.
The Wildcats created their distance with an 11-3 run toward the end of the first half.
Ahead, 19-17, with eight minutes left, Villanova increased its lead to seven on a Bell three-pointer and Fisher jumper. After D.J. Boney's three for Delaware, Dominic Cheek's layup and two free throws and Bell's basket with 2:46 left provided a 30-20 difference.
It was 34-24 at halftime.
The Blue Hens cut their deficit to 39-34 after a Boney three-point play with 14 1/2 minutes left in the second half, but the Wildcats scored the next 14 points to put the game away.
Wayns' three began the stretch, which was aided by five points from Fisher. Fisher's layup just before the 12-minute mark put the hosts ahead, 53-34, and Delaware never got closer than eight the rest of the way.
Villanova has won all nine meetings between the schools...The Wildcats are 6-0 at home this season...Fisher had six assists and five rebounds...Villanova next plays at Monmouth on Wednesday, while Delaware takes on another Big 5 school, Penn, the same day.
- DELAWARE: 59
Dec 18 9:39 PM
- DELAWARE: 24
Dec 18 8:23 PM
- DELAWARE: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Dec 18 7:33 PM
- Villanova's buzzer-beater Jenkins to stay for senior season May 3
- Villanova receives $22.6 million gift for arena renovation Apr 20
- National champion Wildcats bask in celebratory perks Apr 12
- Philadelphia cheers NCAA champs Villanova with parade Apr 8
- Classes off, party on: a Philly bash for champion Villanova Apr 6
- Oklahoma and Villanova face the shooting woes of NRG Stadium Apr 2
- 'Nova looks to show growth since 1st game against Oklahoma Mar 31
- Top-seeded Kansas, No. 2 Villanova set for Elite 8 showdown Mar 25
- Friendship will take a backseat in Villanova-Miami matchup Mar 23
- Villanova-Iowa bound to end a Sweet 16 drought, but just 1 Mar 19
- Delaware fires men's basketball coach Monte Ross Mar 18
- Villanova trying to put early NCAA losses in past Mar 17