Baylor blows out Grambling StateNov 13, 2010 - 6:27 AM Waco, TX (Sports Network) - Quincy Acy's 20 points and 12 rebounds helped 16th-ranked Baylor run over Grambling State, 87-52, at the Ferrell Center.
Anthony Jones chipped in with a career-high 17 points and 10 rebounds, while Baylor played without last year's leading scorer and guard LaceDarius Dunn, who is serving a three-game suspension after an October arrest due to a domestic dispute.
Baylor (1-0) finished 28-8 last season and lost to eventual national champion Duke, 78-71, in the Elite Eight round of the NCAA Tournament.
Brandon Wilson led Grambling State (0-1) with 18 points and seven rebounds. The Tigers dropped 21 games during the 2009-10 season and only captured seven victories.
The Bears were quick out of the gates with an 11-0 run during the first two minutes. They took a 22-5 lead when Stargell Love made a fast-break layup with 11:53 left in the half. Baylor took a 41-25 lead into the locker room.
"That was the goal all week after the exhibition game," Acy said of the quick start. "Coach (Scott) Drew was like, 'We came out slow.' The practices were more revved up. (Coach Drew) was like, 'We've got to get ready.' We did a great job. Everybody came out focused and playing together. It was fun."
Baylor went on a 18-8 run during the first five minutes of the second half, which was capped of by a J'mison Morgan jumper. Grambling never threatened during the remainder of the game and Baylor cruised to the win by shooting 52.5 percent from the field. Baylor held the Tigers to 29 percent shooting from the field.
"I thought defensively when you hold a team to 29 percent defensive field-goal percentage, that is outstanding," Drew said. "When you outrebound them 52-34, that is very good and then the turnovers, obviously that is a big area we have to continue to work on."
Baylor has won all three games in the series...Drew is 7-1 in regular season openers as Baylor's head coach...The Bears had five players in double- digit scoring... Baylor converted 26 points off of 25 Grambling State turnovers...Both Jones and Acy played in their 37th consecutive game for Baylor.
- GRAMBLING STATE: 52
Nov 13 12:23 AM
- GRAMBLING STATE: 25
2nd Half - 20:00
Nov 12 11:31 PM
- King's heart: Baylor freshman playing with defibrillator Mar 15
- Baylor hopes to be motivated by lasting NCAA tourney image Oct 28
- Baylor at a glance Oct 28
- Georgia State upsets Baylor on Hunter's 3 Mar 19
- Bears and Panthers clash in West Regional Mar 19
- No. 9 Kansas tops No. 16 Baylor to reach Big 12 title game Mar 14
- Baylor and Kansas meet in Big 12 Tournament semifinals Mar 13
- Baylor tops West Virginia in Big 12 tourney Mar 12
- Mountaineers challenge Bears in Big 12 Tournament action Mar 12
- Baylor rallies past Texas Tech Mar 7
- Texas Tech and Baylor meet in regular-season finale Mar 6
- Texas fights off No. 14 Baylor in OT Mar 2