Joseph and Hamilton lead Longhorns past LamarDec 2, 2010 - 4:40 AM Austin, TX (Sports Network) - Cory Joseph had 16 points and nine rebounds to lift 19th-ranked Texas to a 76-55 win over Lamar at the Frank Erwin Center.
Jordan Hamilton totaled 16 points and six boards while Tristan Thompson added 11 points and a game-high 13 rebounds for the Longhorns (6-1), who have won three straight.
"As a group, we really tried to work hard and we knew these guys were going to drive the ball," said Texas head coach Rick Barnes, who picked up his 300th victory with Texas. "And we determined we were going to shut down the three- point line, which we did, because they have been shooting a bunch of threes. And with that, being quick, and we worked really hard on coming over and making some plays."
Kendrick Harris had 13 points and Anthony Miles contributed 11 for the Cardinals (4-3), who had won their previous two.
"I knew size was going to be a factor," said Lamar head coach Steve Roccaforte. "I was concerned about the inside play and rebounding. It turned out that our inability to make shots, which I feel is a reflection of their defense."
The Cardinals had an 11-5 lead just over three minutes in when Miles buried a three-ball, but Texas responded to take over the game.
The Longhorns scored the next nine points and took the lead as Hamilton nailed a three-pointer.
Texas continued to extend its advantage and Joseph hit a three-pointer with under four minutes to play for a 27-19 lead, and the team took a 34-25 advantage into the break.
Texas ripped off 12 straight points early in the second half and extended its advantage to 48-27 on a Gary Johnson jumper less than two minutes in.
Lamar tried to keep in the game and got within 12 points thanks to Kendrick Harris' layup with just over 10 minutes left, but Jai Lucas responded with a free throw and layup.
Texas' margin never dipped below 12 points the rest of the way.
Texas has won all five matchups with Lamar. The last meeting was in 1995...Texas plays at USC on Sunday...Lamar plays at Rice on Saturday...The Cardinals shot just 25.7 percent while Texas made 45.3 percent of its shot. However, the Longhorns hit on just 23 of their 37 free throws.
- LAMAR: 55
Dec 1 10:05 PM
- LAMAR: 25
Dec 1 8:54 PM
- LAMAR: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Dec 1 8:05 PM
- Texas guard Isaiah Taylor skipping senior year for NBA Apr 21
- Jesperson's halfcourt shot puts Northern Iowa past Texas Mar 19
- First-year Texas coach Smart no longer the underdog Mar 17
- Texas hoping Shaka Smart can spark tournament success Mar 16
- Texas' Ridley closer to return, status for Big 12 unclear Mar 7
- Texas Western returns to scene of '66 NCAA win over Kentucky Feb 13
- Texas lurking near top of Big 12 as 'havoc' takes hold Feb 12
- UTEP honors Texas Western's historic title 50 years later Feb 6
- Texas Western celebrating historic title 50 years later Feb 4
- Texas says no evidence of academic misconduct Jan 13
- Longhorns: Swingman Jordan Barnett asks to transfer Jan 12
- Texas loses center Cameron Ridley to broken left foot Dec 28